Canon Battery Grip (copy)

YellowBay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.blacknine.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone used one of the BGE3 copies that are on ebay for around £20?

I can't see why I'd want to pay upwards of £80 ($160) for one of these when I can get a "non-canon" one for £20.

My only concern is that somehow, they might damage my camera. I'd appreciate any warnings or happy tales.

From what I've read on this forum the Canon one has a sturdier build. I did hear of one guy's breaking on him during something important. Also the canon one stores the little camera battery cover in the grip itself so you don't lose it, and more importantly so you have it on you if the grip fails for whatever reason.

It's really up to you. I would still have bought the Nikon grip even if a cheaper one was available for my camera because it's the same magnesium build and I misstreat my camera a lot. This is not something for everyone though.

I have a "copy" battery grip on my 30D. I like it. It seems sturdy though I haven't ever seen or held a Canon battery grip to compare it to. My grip has the little place where you can store the camera battery cover in it also. Mine came with the battery grip, AAA battery adapter, 2 rechargable batteries and a remote shutter trigger for about $100 USD I believe. The sellers name is LinksDelight or something like that.

Well, I bought one about three months ago and I must say, it's excellent. My friend has the Canon original and he's not happy. My cheap copy seems to be every bit as good as his, it has the battery cover holder and all the controls that the Canon one has. All for £30

The Canon ones aren't all that great (for the price). I believe the gears for the tightening device are plastic, so you can strip them if you over tighten it. The 3rd party ones probably aren't any better but they are cheaper.

There are some out there, that claim to be made in the same factory as the official Canon ones....Opteka maybe :scratch:

There are some out there, that claim to be made in the same factory as the official Canon ones....Opteka maybe :scratch:

That's what I read as well. And I am gearing more towards the Opteka although someone had mentioned that the shutter button feel is not as good as the Canon one.

I have one of those EBay ones - shipped from Hong Kong. I remember shipping cost more then the buyout price of grip - total was like $60, do not remember exact total.

Been using it for more then 4 months. It does seem a "bit loose" - but for being more then 50% cheaper, I can live with "not perfect" especially since I've read Canon with similar problem. Only thing I consider lacking is no wheel in portrait position, but then I do not see the wheel on other grips.

The spinning gear itself is platic on my canon grip, the metal screw and body mount is metal... Im sure you can strip where the plastic twister turns into metal...

I bought the canon and love it, mine does have the wheel

Do you have the small wheel on top, plus that big wheel that normally next to the screen?

My HK copy does not have the big wheel - a minor inconvenience.

I've got a grip from Link-Delight, and it came with all the features the Cnon one does, and it cost me around $80 Cdn. shipped with batteries.

The only thing I can gripe about is that the wheel is not as tight as the one on the camera, but that is just a feel thing. It works perfectly.

I have had a glitch a couple times when I could not adjust the aperature with the camera button, but I think the problem was that I unknowingly nudged the wheel on the grip and it was half way between clicks, so once I turned it all was good!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Do you have the small wheel on top, plus that big wheel that normally next to the screen?

My HK copy does not have the big wheel - a minor inconvenience.

The canon one does not have the large wheel either, it is next to the screen, so putting one on the grip would be redundant as they would both be on the back of the camera anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back