Canon camera and camera manual - good or not so good?

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by PJcam, Jan 4, 2018.

1. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    IMO....Manuals... Some are better than others. I learned more using a film camera, then bought a digital that worked like one, Fujifilm XT2. Today's DSLR's are very complicated and menu driven. I like everything to be external, aperture ring, shutter dial, ISO dial, etc. That's just me I suppose. My D3300, then D7200 were very frustrating to me because I was shooting film at the same time. So I ditched those and switched to Fuji, never looked back. The manual for Nikon jumped around and was very confusing, Fujifilm a little better but here's the deal, if you can use a manual SLR film camera, you can pick up a Fujifilm camera and start shooting. The details of fine tuning the image can be found in the manual. For me, it's about taking pictures through the viewfinder, not looking at menus on LCD. I rarely look at my menu, I look through my viewfinder and feel with my fingers to take images, I could never get used to a camera that didn't offer total external control of Aperture, shutter speed, ISO, EC, and drive modes. You may or may not be experiencing that, it took me thousands of dollars to figure that out. I was teaching myself the art of photography through old (70's), John Hedgecoe books and I posted a similar rant and @Gary A. pointed me in the Fuji direction because he was keen at pinpointing my frustration. Mine was purely a SOP or physical approach that mirrored the Hedgecoe books and Gary picked up on it some how and I'm forever grateful.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. ClickAddict

ClickAddict No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

Years ago when I first got my T2i, I bought a "Canon T2i digital field Guide" by Charlotte something or other. I see there is a 6D version out by Michael Corsentino but sold under the same Publishing company and has the same look. I was new to DSLR at the time and found that book much more helpful in learning the camera and a how to use it in specific situations than the manual. (if i remember there was sections on shooting with back to the sun, low light, fast moving objects.... and some settings to start you in the right direction and which to use depending on what you needed to tweak. (If too much blur adjust this... if background too dark adjust that....) If you can find one for the T6 you have, it's a good cheap book to have a round. It's really aimed at someone starting out with a new camera and specific to that camera so it tells you where to find the settings.