I could brag about my $375 100-400, but the crux is if the 100-300 is worth it.
IMO, yes.
Event he non L lens is a decent performer.
Look at such results on Flickr and see what folks can do with them.
i picked up 1 28-70 (version 1) that is non -IS.. The diff. in performance with glass is noticeable, and I was able to get the lens for less than $360.
You can find unbelievable bargains out there. A good deal of people have
over - the - top impulse purchases sitting in a closet. Then one day while cleaning out that closet they discover a way to pick up a few bucks by listing these treasures on one of the Internet outlets. Now these items show up on line
"as is make an offer" due to them never quite figuring out how to use this gear. Of course you can get burned by a seller who knows exactly what they're selling. But for most part, people would just like to get a few bucks out of something taking up space. I just bought an old Canon EOS 10s film camera with a 50mm 1.8 Mk I lens for $23.00 Camera and lens were like new. But I've gotten stuck a few times as well. It's a hobby! If I had to depend on this for my lively-hood, I'd probably starve.
I got the 100-400 from a major retailer and it had the lock ring not locking, and fungus on the front element.
A dollar Store glass wipe package and some scotch tape later, the lens works perfectly. A valued $1200 lens for $375, you can't go wrong.
I have contemplated the 100-300 myself off of
KEH and nearly got it when a tiny voice (the thunder of God saying wait), and I did.
Then the 100-400 came up I had to jump on it two days later.