Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens

JozStalin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
"Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens" This was the title read on an online shopping website in regards to a canon lens. Being a beginner I want to know what exactly these specification,- "EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens" refers to....
What does 50 mm refer and what does f/1.8 refer.. please sort me out...:confused::confused:

With Regards,
Joseph Stalin

hey,
the 50mm refers to focal length (like any other lens, 55-200mm or 18-55mm), on Canon it should equal to 80mm because of the 1.6x crop factor. The f1.8 refers to aparture size, smaller number equals bigger aparture size and better performance in low-light situations. This lens is a good prime lens. If you want to read more about it, then you can do it here: Focal Length and F-Stop Explanation

Hope i was helpful :)

50mm (millimeters) is the focal length. A shorter focal length will give you a wider field of view and a longer focal length will give you a narrower field of view. 50mm is usually considered 'normal' because the magnification is similar to the human eye.

F/1.8 (or just F1.8) is the maximum aperture. The aperture is the adjustable pupil (hole) in the lens. By adjusting the aperture, you can control the exposure as well as the Depth of Field (DOF). The F number is a ratio between the focal length and the size of the opening...so the lower the F number, the larger the opening. F1.8 is considered to be a very large aperture.

II denotes that this is the second version of the EF 50mm F1.8.

EF is Canon's designation for it's auto focus lenses, made for Canon EOS cameras.

Maybe it's just me and I don't mean to discourage you, but why are you shopping for lenses if you don't know anything about them? Learn first and shop second.

hey,
the 50mm refers to focal length (like any other lens, 55-200mm or 18-55mm), on Canon it should equal to 80mm because of the 1.6x crop factor. The f1.8 refers to aparture size, smaller number equals bigger aparture size and better performance in low-light situations. This lens is a good prime lens. If you want to read more about it, then you can do it here: Focal Length and F-Stop Explanation

How do you know what camera he has ? 50mm is 50mm

hey,

That part is wrong. As mentioned, 50mm is 50mm....that does not change.

"Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens" This was the title read on an online shopping website in regards to a canon lens. Being a beginner I want to know what exactly these specification,- "EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens" refers to....
What does 50 mm refer and what does f/1.8 refer.. please sort me out...:confused::confused:

With Regards,
Joseph Stalin

OOOOOH MMMMM GGGGGG NOOOOOOB hahahahha totally jk! everyone starts somewhere!! 50mm is your focal length and an f stop of 1.8 is how OPEN your lens can open.

hey,

How do you know what camera he has ? 50mm is 50mm

I remember lots of debates about this a few years ago. As you say 50mm is always a 50mm regardless of the body it is on. It will act like a 80mm on a crop body like the 600D but is still a 50mm because that is what the aperture is a fraction of.

No, it will act like a 50mm lens on any body.

The difference is that when on a 'crop body', the field of view (of the sensor) is narrower than it would be on a 'full frame' (or film) body.

Maybe it's just me and I don't mean to discourage you, but why are you shopping for lenses if you don't know anything about them? Learn first and shop second.
People buy lenses all the time that don't know much about lenses.

Mostly what they consider is the cost. Learning about issues like MTF chart performance and optical aberrations is to much like work.

The OP at least asked.

No, it will act like a 50mm lens on any body.

The difference is that when on a 'crop body', the field of view (of the sensor) is narrower than it would be on a 'full frame' (or film) body.
Yep.

FX is Nikon's term for a full frame image sensor, and DX is Nikon's term for their smaller APS-C size, or crop, image sensor.

FxDx.png

With Regards,
Joseph Stalin

OOOOOH MMMMM GGGGGG NOOOOOOB ... f stop of 1.8 is how OPEN your lens can open.

lol

Tnxx 2 al d ppl, who took on ua tym & effort to sort me out..... TanQ Evry rply wz so helpful....:thumbup:

Kjnye iypo geyut mjhuy? Ymnbv jhgf oiu yt rewq lkjh dsa polkm?

Ij hytur nhpaz jy jugy jkgdl asdfg qwerty uioplk jhgf dsazxc b jkmnhui lhf ercg y...... :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back