Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS thoughts...

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im considering purchasing the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM within the next couple of weeks, but before doing so I wanted to get input from others. Has anyone purchased the lens and later regretted it or wished they had purchased another lens instead. From what I have read, besides price, there seems to be no cons for the lens. It appears to be excellent for sports (inside and out), medium distance wildlife, along with portraits at 100mm and 200m.

Any comments on the this lens or the non-IS version is appreciated.

I have shot with one a few times and can only comment on what I have heard or read.

The lens is amazing optically, gives great, sharp results. Many people opt for the IS version as they dont want to be in a situation where they regret NOT having the IS.

The major con, other than price, is the weight. Its a beast. I think I once calculated that it weights about as much as my XSI, Grip and Tamron 28-75 lens. Carrying it around all day is very heavy. I've heard of a few people selling the 2.8 and going for the f/4 IS version instead for the weight, but these are urban, walking around shooters.

If you are doing sports, get a monopod and you are good to go for the whole game.

Bah its not that heavy!
least not compared to something properly heavy like a 300mm f2.8 IS L......

Othewise yes its a very strong and good lens - for wildlife it really needs a 1.4 teleconverter (takes one very well and with a good shot it hardly affects image quality at all). However its still a bit short for use as a main wildlife lens. A good support lens though but for wildlife you need something longer to compliment it.

There is also a new M2 version coming out this year of that lens with improved optics, IS and a closer minium foucsing distance - upgrades yes but most current owners are not running after the update since the original is still very strong. This means that there is a chance that the current versions price will drop - though I have no idea when the new is coming out.

I like the F4 IS better then the F2.8 IS, I have shot with both and would say that the F4 is sharper, they are both AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't need the 2.8, then try the F4, it won't let you down

I bought this lens and have no regrets. Actually, that's why I got this one over any of the other three Canon 70-200mm lenses....because I knew that if I got one of the cheaper models (F4 or no IS), I'd regret not getting the best one.

It's a great lens. It does get heavy after a day's use, but that's a small price to pay.

If you shoot canon, and need that range, theres no better lens in the world. If you have the cash the only question you need to ask is that what you really want. The fact that you shoot wildlife and sports tells me you would really benefit from a zoom, but if you were only shooting portraits i would say get a fast prime becuase you can walk back and forth to zoom and would benefit from the faster aperture for backgrounds.

I bought this lens and have no regrets. Actually, that's why I got this one over any of the other three Canon 70-200mm lenses....because I knew that if I got one of the cheaper models (F4 or no IS), I'd regret not getting the best one.

It's a great lens. It does get heavy after a day's use, but that's a small price to pay.

I would strongly disagree

F4 is sharper, lighter, just not as fast

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS USM Lens - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens Comparison - ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Results

mouse over to compare

I don't have a problem with the sharpness of the F2.8 version...and practically every Canon shooting pro that I know uses it and loves it.

I've always heard the F4 version is very good, and with today's DSLR cameras offering great high ISO performance, it's certainly a viable option.

Thanks for the chart link, I definitely can tell a difference between the two in sharpness. Im looking at getting the 85mm f/1.8 for portraits. My 50mm 1.8 is good, but Im thinking the 85 would be a good compliment. Cant afford two L series at the current time.

There both insanely sharp L lenses, your never gonna say "damn this photo is really soft, wish i went with the other lens" in the real world. If you dont like weight and are ok with f/4 then go with the f/4, if you are ok with weight and your pocket is saggin go with the 2.8 IS.

Fighting over sharpness between L lenses is about the dumbest thing ever.

There both insanely sharp L lenses, your never gonna say "damn this photo is really soft, wish i went with the other lens" in the real world. If you dont like weight and are ok with f/4 then go with the f/4, if you are ok with weight and your pocket is saggin go with the 2.8 IS.
For me, it's the larger aperture...and thus faster shutter speeds and shallower DOF.

I would strongly disagree

F4 is sharper, lighter, just not as fast

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS USM Lens - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens Comparison - ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Results

mouse over to compare
Switch the body from the 1Ds2 to the 1Ds3 on the f/2.8 lens and at f/4 they both look almost identical.

I thought that was interesting.

I'm not about to tell you how to spend your $$, but you might be interested to know that Sigma just announced the release of an f/2.8 70-200mm OS (Sigma's version of IS). Price and availability dates not yet announced.

I was reading over Sigma's announcements and the other discussions on here, seems like a delivery date is uncertain, with best guesses later this summer. Would hate to wait and it not arrive.

I would take the Canon version over Sigmas any day.

Most reactions

Back