Canon Elan 7n with Strange Issues

mr.mike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
Just picked up a Canon Elan 7n with an interesting problem. Seems to function on all modes as it should until I load a film cartridge in it. The film will advance and then all functions cease. The shutter won't fire and the screen goes blank with the exception of a flashing empty battery symbol or sometimes a film cartridge image appears. When the cartridge is removed all settings including full battery image reappear and the shutter operates again. The body is very clean, it looks almost brand new. No sign of physical damage at all. I'm using brand new 123 batteries. Hoping someone has an idea what the problem might be.

Last edited:
That is odd. Sounds like an internal problem. Might be cheaper to buy another body as they sell for around $100-150. Repair will likely be higher.

That is odd. Sounds like an internal problem. Might be cheaper to buy another body as they sell for around $100-150. Repair will likely be higher.
You're probably right, could be a sensor of some type that doesn't totally recognize the film cartridge. I have a couple of Canon Elan's sitting in the closet. This was the first and last 7n for me. Probably sell it for parts. Thanks for your response.

I looked online and some have had similar issues depending on the brand of battery used.
You may wish to try a different brand prior to sending it out.

I looked online and some have had similar issues depending on the brand of battery used.
You may wish to try a different brand prior to sending it out.[/QUOTE

Hi,
I did the same thing, but it seems my problem differs a bit from the other posts. Different batteries didn't seem to make much difference. Film and processing cost more these days than the cameras. I was hoping to find an easy fix, but doesn't look like I'm going to win on this one.
Thanks for your response

I'm not that familiar with the specific model of camera, but I am wondering if the DX canister coding is the problem. Back in the early 1990s and late 1980s there was a new system that was called DX coding, which automatically communicated to the camera the ISO of the Film in use.

Perhaps this camera has got a problem with that, since whenever you put a film in the camera, it no longer works correctly.

You should definitely check the battery brand and model. I remember years ago I had a problem with Nikon MD12 motor drives not working with Coppertop Duracell batteries, but the same motor drives would work perfectly fine with Eveready Energizer cells,
even though those were brand new, and relatively common 1.5 V AA batteries…

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. I remember running into a problem some years ago with AA batteries used in the mouse for my iMac. It is very possible that the batteries in my camera could be the culprit, but I believe this might be a bit more involved. It's possible that there are sensors that aren't recognizing the film cartridge. One of the members on this forum gave me sound advice recommending I just get another camera. Fixing this one may cost more than the replacement.

It's a shame, the overall appearance of this camera appears brand new, but the internal problem may just be more of a headache than it's worth.

Thanks again for your input...........................

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back