Canon electronic shutter ?

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In another forum that I'm in - Coin collectors,
there's a discussion about Canon vs Nikon.

One poster is asking about a d3300 for coin photography
Another poster has stated that a Canon is better in a studio setting for detailed shots. As Canon cameras have electronic shutters that minimize vibration.

Is this true?
What about Nikon current cameras? I believe their older one's had electronic shutters which allowed for very flash fast sync speeds.

D810.

it only works in mirror lock-up or live view modes, fwiw. (both Nikon and Canon).

If youre using flash I feel like it's moot.

D810.

it only works in mirror lock-up or live view modes, fwiw. (both Nikon and Canon).

If youre using flash I feel like it's moot.
most can't afford a d810.
and live view, you still have a ton of mirror activity as it comes back down for AF/metering, then pulls back up.

So Canon does have electronic shutter on their low end models and Nikon doesn't ?

So Canon does have electronic shutter on their low end models and Nikon doesn't ?

correct, they have it on a bunch of models; including the Rebel series.

Honestly for coin photography you don't need it. Simple use mirror-lock-up mode and a good solid tripod and you'll be fine; the amount of blur from the mirrorslap on good tripod should be pretty much invisible in most practical applications.

That is unless they are going to start doing 3, 4,5 or greater times magnification shots of their coins; then I can see a slowly rising argument for the need to reduce vibration; but for coins even at 1:1 its not a deal-breaker in my view. Tell them to get a good set of legs and a manfrotto junior geared head

Honestly for coin photography you don't need it. Simple use mirror-lock-up mode and a good solid tripod and you'll be fine; the amount of blur from the mirrorslap on good tripod should be pretty much invisible in most practical applications.

That is unless they are going to start doing 3, 4,5 or greater times magnification shots of their coins; then I can see a slowly rising argument for the need to reduce vibration; but for coins even at 1:1 its not a deal-breaker in my view. Tell them to get a good set of legs and a manfrotto junior geared head
but we are talking about high magnification to see the formation of letters/numbers/etc and the metal flow from the strikes.

In another forum that I'm in - Coin collectors,
there's a discussion about Canon vs Nikon.

One poster is asking about a d3300 for coin photography
Another poster has stated that a Canon is better in a studio setting for detailed shots. As Canon cameras have electronic shutters that minimize vibration.
Is this true?
What about Nikon current cameras? I believe their older one's had electronic shutters which allowed for very flash fast sync speeds.

I believe all Canon DSLR's have mechanical shutters but some mirrorless models such as Fuji have dual electronic and mechanical shutters. But like others have indicated you don't need an electronic shutter as using mirror lock-up, remote trigger (or timer) and tripod works fine

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back