Nikon D5300 vs D5500 for stills

Coreysaysyo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, I am new here. Had a question or two before I start to mingle around the forum :D

Its about my camera shopping, I have been looking at a ton of reviews for the D5500 and the D5300. The consensus that i'm getting, is that the D5500 is a smaller camera with an included touch screen. But the hardware inside is mainly the same. Same censor, same MP, same FPS. Now I know the buffer for raws might not be as big.

But my point of asking all of this is, I am not worried about videos. Just looking for a great stills camera. I have a Sony a5000 now, and I am just looking for a bit better quality and also wanting to get into a DSLR. Plan on keeping the a5000 for video and getting either the D5500 or D5300 for photos. Now my thinking is, with the D5300 having the same internals. It is a lot cheaper than the D5500. So with the saved money I could invest in a better lens :D

So what would you guys recommend? Buy the D5300 with the option to invest in a lens. Or the D5500 with the kit lens?

p.s. I have no need for a touchscreen. Just a bit of extra info. Plus thanks for any responses, I have been researching my butt off and can't seem to get the advice I am looking for. Thanks!

The D5300 is $700? The D7100 is $900? Is that about right where you're buying from?

Get a D7100. The tiny viewfinder of the D5xxx/D3xxx cameras is impossible to see through. If you handle a D7100 in person and compare it to a D5300, you'll see what I mean about the viewfinder.

But yes I would get the D5300 over the D5500 if the price difference is significant.

You can research a whole lot with entry level cameras like the D3xxx/D5xxx cameras. You will get a lot of misinformation. You will spend forever sifting and never get the info 100% correct.

Last edited:
If the price difference is big then get the D5300, for most cases you will not see any real difference.

So with the saved money I could invest in a better lens
Yes, do that.

Frankly, a better lens on the older body will ultimately yield a better photograph than vice-versa.

Same thing applies to the a5000.

most of the IQ improvement youll see between the two will be from the optics, not the sensor. The 20MP in your a5000 is still plenty good.

Thanks for the advice guys. I believe I am going to go with the D5300.

Plus, yes my Sony takes beautiful pictures, and I am very happy with it. From what I have seen, I think I can get better noise performance, and better AF out of the DSLR. Not to mention, I just want to get into a DSLR because of the view finder, better lens selection, and not having the AA filter on the D5300 should yield sharper results :D Maybe not much, but a little lol.

Whats great about me going with Nikon is the lens selection. I know that my camera will not have an internal motor for older lens, but still :D

If you guys have any more recommendations, please keep them coming! :D

Thanks for the advice guys. I believe I am going to go with the D5300.

Plus, yes my Sony takes beautiful pictures, and I am very happy with it. From what I have seen, I think I can get better noise performance, and better AF out of the DSLR. Not to mention, I just want to get into a DSLR because of the view finder, better lens selection, and not having the AA filter on the D5300 should yield sharper results :D Maybe not much, but a little lol.

Whats great about me going with Nikon is the lens selection. I know that my camera will not have an internal motor for older lens, but still :D

If you guys have any more recommendations, please keep them coming! :D
Well for best results the most important thing you need to get is skills, that comes with time and practice.
For the sharpest results you can get the D5300 with the Nikon 50mm 1.8G which cost around 200$ and its super sharp, it is great general use prime lens good for portraits, street photography and even landscape and indoor or low light situation.
For more flexibility the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 is relatively affordable especially used and it is a good fast zoom lens.
Lots more lenses to aim for but leave that for the future.

Well for best results the most important thing you need to get is skills, that comes with time and practice.
For the sharpest results you can get the D5300 with the Nikon 50mm 1.8G which cost around 200$ and its super sharp, it is great general use prime lens good for portraits, street photography and even landscape and indoor or low light situation.
For more flexibility the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 is relatively affordable especially used and it is a good fast zoom lens.
Lots more lenses to aim for but leave that for the future.

What about the Nikon 35mm f1.8g? for DX cameras? Is that any good?

Yes, it's good.

The thing is, though, one would not normally select a lens based on IQ alone, without also considering the focal length and other issues.

I don't own one, but I've read reviews of that lens, and the image quality (IQ) is very good. So if you need a 35mm lens, then that is a good choice.

Also, it is made for the DX sensor, but can be used on FX cameras by switching to DX mode, although there might be other lenses to consider.

30mm - 35mm is where I normally shoot. Even though equivalent is in the 50s.

I was also considering getting the 18-140 kit that can be ordered with the camera. I have heard some really good things about it, but I doubt it can deliver as good of quality as a prime.

I was also considering getting the 18-140 kit that can be ordered with the camera. I have heard some really good things about it, but I doubt it can deliver as good of quality as a prime.
I think you should get the 18-140m first, its a very good all around general use lens.
Then as a second lens you can consider a prime, I see you like the 35mm then sure get it, its not a good portrait lens, but if you like it then its the lens for you and its also a very affordable excellent lens.

Corey, first I would like to thank you for putting you location in your information. Most Noob's don't. :applause:

Secondly. Louisville, KY is not like Barlow, KY. I would suggest that you go to a camera store, preferably a good brick and mortar store not a big box store and hold, examine and tryout both of the bodies you are considering. Keep in mind you are not just buying a camera, you are buying a system. Find out more about the system and what is available for in the future for they types of photography you are interested in. The best camera to have is the one that feels good to you and fits you needs.

35mm is an excellent prime. I used it a bunch on my D5100. You will like its results.
I was in your shoes not too long ago, researching that 18-140. I actually ended up going with the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 Contemporary lens. It was a really nice lens.

Most reactions

Back