Canon EOS 1200D (Rebel T5) vs. Pentax K-S1

nickmont

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone!
I'm pretty new to the photography world, and I'd like to enter in it buying my first DSLR camera. Since I have a voucher for a shop, my options are restricted to a Canon EOS 1200D and a Pentax K-S1.
I Googled a lot and from what I read, the Pentax K-S1 seems better for different reasons: resolutions, Max ISO, shutter speed, continuous shooting speed (5 fps of the Pentax vs 3 fps of the Canon), dynamic range, AutoExposure Bracketing mode, etc. (the most relevant website was this one: Pentax K-S1 vs Canon 1200D Detailed Comparison). At this point the choice seem pretty straightforward, but some friends told me to pay attention because Canon brand has better lenses. Pentax model has the following lenses mount: pentax KAF2 bayonet mount, while Canon model has the following lenses mount: EF-S 18-55mm IS. The prices at the shop are almost the same.
So the point is: is the K-S1 better?

I would recommend the Nikon D3300, I think its a better camera then the other two and you got access to Nikon vast lens collection.

If you must pick one of the two, get the Canon. Or else you'll be forever looking for support and lenses you can use.

Pentax I think is the better choice. Pentax has loads of lenses New and old.

The first question I guess I would ask is, are you planning on buying lenses in the future used, or new?

If your hoping to get used lenses and equipment Canon would probably be the better choice. You'll find a much larger market for used Canon stuff because a lot more of it has been sold.

As far as bang for your buck on the camera body, Pentax is probably the way to go, they are going to offer more features and better specs in most categories than the entry level Canons. However there lens selection is a little more limited and you'll have a harder time finding used equipment if you go Pentax.

So my advice would be to look at this from the standpoint of your buying into a system, rather than just buying a camera. Do some quick searches and find out, does Pentax have the kind of lenses that interest you, and prices, do the same for Canon. Look at the used market in your area, then decide which is going to be better for you overall.

Hi everyone!
I'm pretty new to the photography world, and I'd like to enter in it buying my first DSLR camera. Since I have a voucher for a shop, my options are restricted to a Canon EOS 1200D and a Pentax K-S1.
I Googled a lot and from what I read, the Pentax K-S1 seems better for different reasons: resolutions, Max ISO, shutter speed, continuous shooting speed (5 fps of the Pentax vs 3 fps of the Canon), dynamic range, AutoExposure Bracketing mode, etc. (the most relevant website was this one: Pentax K-S1 vs Canon 1200D Detailed Comparison). At this point the choice seem pretty straightforward, but some friends told me to pay attention because Canon brand has better lenses. Pentax model has the following lenses mount: pentax KAF2 bayonet mount, while Canon model has the following lenses mount: EF-S 18-55mm IS. The prices at the shop are almost the same.
So the point is: is the K-S1 better?

you can go and try them out at the store
I'd vote for the Canon

Either one would be fine. You'll either not be shooting or you'll have an upgraded body in 6 months to a year.

Most reactions

Back