Canon EOS-1D Mark IIN

Blair

Painting with Light
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am, at this time, using a Canon XT but am thinking about up-grading to a 1D Mark IIN. I'm wondering if anyone here shoots with this camera and if so what do you think of it. Most of the reviews I've read are positive with the exception of the controls being complicated. (How complicated are they?) I like to do many different types of photography.

Thanks,
Blair

I wouldn't buy a camera like that (D2H) unless I shot sports. I don't need the speed or feature set. If you can justify the cost, than go ahed.

If you want to get a different level camera and want to go full-frame, I'd also look at the 5D. The two cameras have different feature sets, and each fits a different kind of photography better than the other.

I'd look at some of the other threads about upgrading. They ask some good general questions, like what specifically about your camera do you want to upgrade?

I don't know where you are with your photography, but upgrading isn't a path to being a better photographer. It's something you do after you've become a better photographer and know exactly why you want a different feature set.

I would heavily consider spending less on a body and more on glass... since your signature doesnt say what you have... that may be the first bone of contention... your XT will do very well with nice glass... and glass depreciates less than camera bodies do.

If you decide to still go with a 1-Series maybe look into a used Mark II instead of the N series... you will find them at a huge discount, and the shutter is much more rugged and lasts (usually) for around 200k clicks...

You will definately have a small learning curve with the controls on the 1D vs the XT... so be prepared for it...

Obvious difference that I see at a glance:

5D - full frame, more meaty files (if you need it), ideal tool for studio/wedding work, US$2489.95
1D Mark II N - weather sealed/solid body, 1.3x crop factor, sports/photojournalism, US$3449.95

If your work does not call for a body upgrade at this point, I'd spend the money on good glasses.
Btw, Jeff Canes has a 1D Mark II N - he should be here shortly.

Its hard to say if you will benefit from the 1D Mk2N without knowing what you like to shoot.

I just bought one about 3 months ago. I personally love it. Once you have the camera set up the way you want, it is very easy to use. Like any conplicated camera, there is a learning curve, but it isnt bad with the 1D Mk2n. Is there anything more specific you want to know?

I will have to agree with the thread here though, and would suggest saving money on the body, and spending it on some good L glass. I would ask myself if this camera is worth the extra $1K over the 5D.

I use mine to cover motorsports events, and therefore am a benefactor of the camera's great speed. However, at the same time, I dont love the camera when I have to carry it (its very heavy) and when I have to recharge the batteries (the charger is the size of a rangefinder camera).

Having used Nikons all my life, my biggest difficulty with the Mk2N and other Canons has been predicting the AF, its very different than the Nikon world.

--If you decide to still go with a 1-Series maybe look into a used Mark II instead of the N series... you will find them at a huge discount, and the shutter is much more rugged and lasts (usually) for around 200k clicks---

is that backwards or am I reading it backwards

Edit:
I thought the 1D MII had a reputation of the shutter blowing out at less that 50k. I know of 3 photographers this happen too. One of them with two different cameras

The 1D MIIn is made to shoot sports so if you’re not shooting sports you would likely be better going with a different model. But if you have your heart set on it. You should be very a happy with it. The big problem with it is it is simply too heavy. I’m seriously thinking about getting a 5D when the next generation comes out.

Ask yourself some questions about the plus & negavies and your needs of 5D, 30D & 1D MIIn those answers will tell you what camera is right for you.

Thanks everyone!

My love is nature photography.......Birds on the wing etc. I'm shooting with the XT right now. I'm upgrading my glass as well........Looking at the 100 - 400 mm L IS as well as the 400 mm prime. I've been somewhat happy with the XT but it's just not very fast. I've looked at the 20D, 30D and 5D but this upgrading is expensive........rather buy a camera that I wont want to upgrade later. One thing that bothers me about the 5D is that I sometimes get caught out in the rain.....(The 5D has no seals)

Do I want to spend $4000.00 for a body.....LOL.....No.....but......any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you mean by "fast". Do you mean max shutter speed?
frame per second the 1d MIIn is the fast camara made, 8fps with a burst of 40 jpg are 15ish (?) raw. But how often do you need that type of speed?

I shoot at a local cable ski park. And have never need the max burst with JPGs. But have shooting RAW wihen two good riders are back to back on the cable.

Ah right. Brain fart there.

That is fast. I think the only time I've held the shutter down is to show off to someone how fast the camera can go. I've never actually used it that way.

There are other differences to consider....

Already mentioned... the high fps and internal buffer. Major competitor in photojournalism and sports.

Planning on using a teleconverter with letsay the 100-400mm L lens? I maybe off but I do believe the 1 series body will maintain AF

I do believe the 1d-markIIn will provide faster AF

45 AF points versus 9 + 6 on the 5d

5d's evaluative meter is updated (new model camera) over the 1dmarkIIn.

Multi-spot metering in the 1dmarkIIn (Really big advantage!)

Slightly better build quality

Not sure.. but I do believe the battery in the 1dmarkIIn will hold a charge longer. But then again, its several times the size and cost of the BP-511 battery in the 5d.

Yes.. its heavier

There are disadv to a full frame sensor. There are disadv to a 1.6x sensor. Many consider the 1.3x sensor in the 1dmarkII is a good compromise.

Ergonomically, very different cameras. Only you can decide.

For pros with deep pockets, 1dmarkIIn for sports/etc.. or 1dsmarkII for studio/fine art. The 5d is a great middle ground between the two.

On second thought....

If I were considering forking out the cost of a new 5d, I'd seriously consider looking into a good conditioned 1ds (11.1 mp version) camera for about the same cost. I've never shot with the 1ds (never even seen one in person) but just looking at the specs... (so keep that in mind)

Similar MP rating. 12 ( 5d) versus 11.1 (1ds)
Both are full frame.
1ds is sealed.
1DS has 45 AF points just like the 1dmarkIIn
Center Spot metering is slightly tighter on the 1ds.
Multi-spot metering just like the 1dmarkII.
1 series body and build
Same evaluative metering as the 1dmarkII
5d goes to ISO 3200 and the 1ds goes to 1250. I've never shot over 800iso.

The big question mark is the difference in the final image.... I'm sure there are samples on the internet somewhere for your pixel peepin pleasure.

Most reactions

Back