Canon EOS-1D Mark IIN

There are other differences to consider....

Already mentioned... the high fps and internal buffer. Major competitor in photojournalism and sports.

Planning on using a teleconverter with letsay the 100-400mm L lens? I maybe off but I do believe the 1 series body will maintain AF

I do believe the 1d-markIIn will provide faster AF

45 AF points versus 9 + 6 on the 5d

5d's evaluative meter is updated (new model camera) over the 1dmarkIIn.

Multi-spot metering in the 1dmarkIIn (Really big advantage!)

Slightly better build quality

Not sure.. but I do believe the battery in the 1dmarkIIn will hold a charge longer. But then again, its several times the size and cost of the BP-511 battery in the 5d.

Yes.. its heavier

There are disadv to a full frame sensor. There are disadv to a 1.6x sensor. Many consider the 1.3x sensor in the 1dmarkII is a good compromise.

Ergonomically, very different cameras. Only you can decide.

For pros with deep pockets, 1dmarkIIn for sports/etc.. or 1dsmarkII for studio/fine art. The 5d is a great middle ground between the two.

........and the price difference isn't that big......At my local shop (Wolf Camera) $3299.99 for the 5D and 3999.99 for the 1D. In my mind it seems the 1D has a lot more to offer for not a ton more money. That sort of knocks the 5D out of the running.

Thanks usayit..........by the way I'm an Aggie also......class of 88 in Radio and Telivision broadcasting.

Thanks again everyone!

Whooop! Gig'em Class of 97 - Computer Engineer.

So that means the 5d, 1dmarkII, and the 1ds (non-markII) are in your price range. Sounds like a great lineup to choose from.

.....actually I'm gonna have to save for a month or two to get it but to me it's better to go ahead and bite the bullet than keep spending money upgrading....

I grew up just down the road from sugarland......little town of Louise, TX, nine miles from El Campo on 59. Use to drive through sugarland all the time before the highway went around it. What years did you live there?

Just to throw a wrench into your decision making...what about a 20D or 30D?

5 FPS is pretty darn fast (I think the 5D is only 3).

Since you seem to be concentrating on the telephoto end of photography...the cropped sensors won't be a hindrance...and may even be an advantage.

Price is obviously better.

One thing that bothers me about the 5D is that I sometimes get caught out in the rain
While the non-pro bodies are not weather sealed...they are not immediately destroyed by a little rain either. I got caught without my camera bag, in the rain forests of Costa Rica during a torrential downpour...my 20D got soaked but didn't suffer any lasting ill effects. You can certainly buy or make pretty decent rain covers for your camera/lens as well.

I've looked at the 20D, 30D and 5D but this upgrading is expensive........rather buy a camera that I wont want to upgrade later.

Buy a film body then. Digital technology changes every 6 months. You WILL be upgrading the camera. Maybe not this year, or next year, but you will eventually.

Buy a film body then. Digital technology changes every 6 months. You WILL be upgrading the camera. Maybe not this year, or next year, but you will eventually.

While I agree that digital tech changes fast, I think that the upgrading is overstated. The temptation may become stronger because things change fast, but I've been using my 10D since shortly after it was introduced (2003?) and I still have no plans to upgrade. Just because there's something better doesn't mean you have to upgrade, as long as your equipment still does what you need it to do.

.....actually I'm gonna have to save for a month or two to get it but to me it's better to go ahead and bite the bullet than keep spending money upgrading....

I grew up just down the road from sugarland......little town of Louise, TX, nine miles from El Campo on 59. Use to drive through sugarland all the time before the highway went around it. What years did you live there?

Small World!

I grew up in Sugar Land before it became the yuppy rich community it is today. Moved there in 1981 from Pasadina,TX until I left for college in 1993. The subdivision was Colony Grant. My family still lives in the same house but they too express that they miss the good ol'days before First Colony was annexed to Sugar Land and eventually repurchased by some high end housing developments.

I remember times before all the land was over developed with strip malls and franchised thingys. It was a great place to grow up.. albeit a bit boring at times. My father bought me a tiny motorcycle when I was 10 or so. I could basically navigate the entire community and visit friends who lived miles away without so much worrying about traffic. Used to take a shovel out there and build dirt tracks for out dirt bikes and my motorcycle.

Now, the middle class communities of Sugar Land get harrassed by the over zealous Home owners associations. My little brother who lives 2 miles from Clements HS (known to be a good school) was "rezoned" out of that school after our community supported it for more than 2 decades. Rich kids more than 10 miles away got "zoned" in. My father, who got "pushed" out of home owners association a few years earlier, fought hard to get that "wrong" corrected but lost. The best he could do was get kids a certain age "grandfathered" so my brother could attend the school my father supported. Too bad for the rest of the community... Money talks...

Its a sad state of affairs that rings of tones of stories "eminent domain" abuse.

Oh well... I still have my memories. Once my brother graduates to college, my parents plan on selling the house to some rich family and make out of that place with extra cash for retirement.

While I agree that digital tech changes fast, I think that the upgrading is overstated. The temptation may become stronger because things change fast, but I've been using my 10D since shortly after it was introduced (2003?) and I still have no plans to upgrade. Just because there's something better doesn't mean you have to upgrade, as long as your equipment still does what you need it to do.

Everyone is different. You might be happy with your 10D, but this original poster is already looking to upgrade from an XT.

Don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

Upgrade if your current setup does not satisfy your needs. I personally haven't needed anything more than 8mp.

Megapixels aren't the sole reason for upgrading, and aren't even a factor in the original poster's decision, since he has an 8mp camera now, and is looking at another 8mp camera.

Big Mike,
I have actually looked at the 30D and liked it. In fact to me it is almost a decision between this camera and the 1D over the 5D.

Digital Matt,
I have an old Minolta XG1 that I still shoot with all the time. I Love It!

usayit,
It's sad to see the changes it that area to me also, but what I wouldn't give to be back there now changes and all.....LOL. Texas farm boy stuck in Atlanta.....I just don't fit in......LOL. The first vehicle I drove was a tractor pulling an augercart .....second one was a combine......LOL.

Do you ever make it back down there? I go back about every 2 months.

My wife and kids are in San Antonio. Work moved me to Atlanta in Aug. 2005. We were in the middle of adopting a little girl (we got her at 3 months and she's 3 years old now) and didn't want to restart the adoption in GA. It was final in Nov. so they will be moving out here in May.

Thanks again everyone!

I use a EOS 1D mkII and I would not change it for anything, I shoot Aviation, wildlife, landscapes and a bit of sports.

I'm lucky enough to work in a camera shop that stocks the full range of Nikon and Canon dSLRs so I get to play with any before I buy. The reason I went for the 1D mkII was

1) I use Canon Lenses so that counted out Nikon
2) Having owned Pro Bodies in the past I've got used to the weight and feel of these camera and I like the layout of the controls
3) The AF speed has to be seen to be believed

sure thats not much of a reason to buy it but the camera just feels right to me, which is a BIG reason to buy one in my mind.

If you can, see if you can pick one up in a store to feel the weight as there is a big difference in weight and size to the others bodies from Canon. A lot of people do find this camera too heavy.

I wasn't interested in full frame as the 1.3 crop is very useful to me and with the Sigma 12-24mm lens I get the 35mm camera equivalent of 15.6mm, which is wide enough for me.

My camera has taken somewhere between 30,000 and 40,000 photos and still going strong, I have customers who have taken over 135,000 photos and no problems with the shutter, from memory the shutter in the 1 series is guaranteed for a least 200,000 shots

The focussing is the best that Canon do on the 1 series which also helps when tracking a plane at 650mph and I use a 70-200mm F2.8 with the 2x converter which slows AF down a bit but still tracks a plane.

To be honest since the days of the old D30 (the old 3mp dSLR) I've NOT seen any bad dSLR from any company. Sure some are better than others but none are bad.

BTW
A friend of mine has a 20D and a 1DS mkII and he finds that from changing cameras during a shoot can be a problem as the controls are in a different place

one other point that might lean you towards the 5d....

...there's a rebate going on right now (until february 16th or something). It's a double rebate, meaning that if you buy two objects on the list of rebatable items, you'll get double the rebate. the 5d has a $300 mail in rebate. if you bought that with, say, a 100-400L, you would get a $600 rebate on the 5d, plus $80 for the lense. just a thought.

Before I spent big bucks on another body, I'd have a few very nice lenses.

Most reactions

Back