Canon EOS 6d Vs. Nikon d600

I'm a Canon shooter. But I am yet to buy expensive lenses. Personally I think I would have the Nikon. I am not sold on the 6d. But a good 2nd hand 5d would be perfect for me. Probably still better value for money than either the 6d or D600 in my view.

I just got my Nikon D600 and would highly recommend it. I wanted full frame but not the bulk of the D700 and up, after getting to hold it today wow perfect fit for my hand, good balance feels solid.

I havn't held the Canon D6 but from pictures it looks like a toy, the buttons, and layout compared to the D600. Limited time playing with it but the D600 seems feature rich, tons of customization and button options so incase you can't tell I'm a fan. Had reservations when pre ordering at first but now after getting it I won't be looking back.

Plus D600 is out now if you want to shoot why wait months when you can go shoot tomorrow :) with the new Nikon.

Although I have Nikon, for wildlife I'll recommend you get the Canon 7D.

Pro-build might help out in the dirt and fast burst will help with birds of prey and stuff like that.

Also, take a look at the Canon lenses. For wildlife (especially birds) you'll need from 300mm to 600mm. All the recent telephotos Nikon has in that range are the 300 F/2.8, 400 F/2.8, 500 F/4 and 600 F/4 and they are all above 6,000 $. Canon's range includes some recent lenses that are a little less bright (F/4 or F/5.6) and cheaper, such as a recent 300 F/4, a recent 400 F/5.6 and a 400 F/4 too.

However, there is one thing that is even more important: grab these cameras in your hands, feel them, test them, see if you like the position of the dials and buttons. Even if right now the Canon system is better suited for wildlife, I still prefer Nikon. Canon bodies feel unnatural to me, I have a hard time spinning the dials and finding the buttons. For many people it's the opposite.

Ciao!

I don't know if the Nikon's 7D competitor has been released yet. If the D400 materialize, then that's what I will compare to the 7D

FF wise, yes I will get the D600 if I were you. Why not a used (or brand new) D700? It's a brick compared to D600, and to me, it matters a lot. Plus, the D600 seems to have excellent video features for less money than a D700.

For me, I want 9-frame AE bracketing because I do shoot HDR quite a bit. Not that I use all 9 stops, but I frequently do 5 or 7 frames. So it seems that the D600 is a little limiting on that respect unless I am misreading the spec sheet. Otherwise, I'd have been REALLY considering replacing my D700 with the D600.

So does he get the award for the first 6d vs D600 thread... or did I miss one somewhere? Cause we all knew this was coming.
It was simply inevitable!

Thank you all for your feedback! I think I'm going with the D600!
For now I couldn't find many offers, one is:
Nikon D600 + AF-S 24-85 VR + SD 8GB for 2500€
Is it good? The D800 can be found for 2490€ body only (used for 1690€, but are 4fps enough for wildlife?). I'll have to wait a month or two, until there are more offers around.
There are good offers for the 7d, but it's 3 years old and due for an update (or not? the 2.0 firmware suggests it's not that close...)
EOS 7D+EF-S 18-135mm IS for 1510€

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back