Canon EOS film lens interchangeability

redbug119

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Canon EOS Rebel GII (film) that developed a light leak. It was repaired once and worked OK thru about 40 rolls of film. Now it's developed the problem again. I was told that if it happened again, not to bother to get it fixed, it probably wouldn't "hold". Meanwhile I have 2 lenses (the original and a 75-300) that cost me $$ that I don't want to waste. What cameras (film or digital) will they work with? This will save me some $$ if I can get just the body.. Thanks.

All EOS lenses (EF designation) are compatible with all EOS cameras digital and film with one exception. The newer EF-S line of lenses are not compatible with Canon's higher end camera bodies that have larger than cropped sensors.

You should be fine with a Rebel digital of your choice.

I have a Canon EOS Rebel GII (film) that developed a light leak. It was repaired once and worked OK thru about 40 rolls of film. Now it's developed the problem again. I was told that if it happened again, not to bother to get it fixed, it probably wouldn't "hold". Meanwhile I have 2 lenses (the original and a 75-300) that cost me $$ that I don't want to waste. What cameras (film or digital) will they work with? This will save me some $$ if I can get just the body.. Thanks.

Your lenses will work on any EOS camera (film or digital). Just be aware of the crop factor for digital cameras with a sensor smaller than 24x36mm (all EOS cameras apart from the 5D and 1Ds). Because the sensor is smaller than 24x36mm, the fields of view of your lenses will be narrower than what you are used to.

Thanks for the info - if I can't find another EOS, will they fit anything else?

All EOS lenses (EF designation) are compatible with all EOS cameras digital and film with one exception. The newer EF-S line of lenses are not compatible with Canon's higher end camera bodies that have larger than cropped sensors.

You should be fine with a Rebel digital of your choice.

The 1d series (1DNMKII & 1DSMKII??) with the APS-H 1.3x crop sensor will not use EF-S lenses along with the 10D and probably cameras earlier than that as well. Yes, people still use 10D's.

Most reactions

Back