Canon EOS M - Good for first timer looking to get into hobby photography?

krypton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

For the last couple of years I have been quite keen to buy myself a decent camera and take up photography as a hobby ($1-2k kind of thing). I have not yet made the plunge as I am still studying and always said I would buy it just before I go somewhere exciting on holiday.
I realise the Canon EOS M is not out yet but by the specs does it sound like it would be a good first camera for me? (or could you suggest alternatives).
I have always liked Canon in terms of the compact point and shoots but would be open to other brands.
I was always considering getting a DSLR camera but am a bit nervous that I won't actually get into the photography thing and then it will be too bulky to carry around which is why this new Canon CSC has got me excited all over again - as it could just be used as a high end compact if I don't really get into it (I had not heard about this kind of camera option before).

But yeah, I will basically be using it for every purpose (which I realise would be jack of all trades, master of none), including people, landscapes, animals etc.

Do you think this would be a good starter camera? - or should I go DSLR - or should I get a different brand similar camera?

Thanks very much,

Kadin

It's not even out yet so no one can give an opinion based on any real world experience.

It looks like it's lack of physical controls on the body are going to be an issue to anyone not shooting in auto mode and it has a substantial lack of lenses in it's native mount. You'll have to buy an expensive adapter to be able to use EF-S lenses and that defeats the purpose of such a small camera (70-200 f/2.8L IS mounted on the M anyone?). It looks like there are better choices out there.

And as far as this being the first you've heard of a camera like this, you're behind the times. Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, and other companies already have cameras out that are compact and allow interchangeable lenses with some having 3 generations of cameras and changes under their belts.

Considering you want to get into photography seriously, I would suggest a Canon EOS 7D (buy one without a lens) and 24-105mm f/4L for your 2k budget. 7D's are selling for cheap now.

Depends how important portability is to you, its not really that much cheaper than the rebels right now.

For something like street photography I could see the EOS-M being pretty good.

Between this camera and a rebel I almost see it a compromise between workflow and portability, workflow being the ability to use less easier to access buttons and being able to look through the lens...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back