Canon f/4 or Tamron f/2.8?

WillK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have the T3i with 18-55 and 55-250 Kit lens, along with the 50mm 1.8.

I'm not sure which lens to upgrade to next. the Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L or the Tamron SP 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC?I do't know whether to go with Canon's glass and sacrifice f/4 during indoor events, or go with the fast Tamron 2.8, but the glass won't be top notch? I do landscape, street, and events.

I would personally go with the Tamron 17-50. While the focal range of 24-105 is enticing it isn't going to be fast enough for indoors without going high ISO or slow shutter speed.

I use my Canon 24-105 f4L most of the time on my camera...initially on a 60D and now a 5D3. Most of my work is indoors at church, as well. I do about 1/2 of my shots with a flash and half without. The key is to learn now to make the best use of what you got...even if it only goes to f4. A monopod and slower shutter speeds in the 1/20-1/40 are the rule. And most of the shots will end up with subject movement. Of course, simply bouncing an external flash solves the low light issues, and also takes care of most of the screwy lighting WB issues as well.

Do I like having f2.8 lenses and faster in my bag when doing indoor work. Absolutely yes. But to me, having a reasonably long zoom range in a single lens with IS trumps a single f-stop. And, the 24-105 is absolutely perfect as a walk around lens outdoors for cityscapes and trains that I occassionally photograph as well. If I could only have 1 lens, the 24-105 is it.

Do you shoot a lot at focal length between 17mm - 24mm? What about from 50mm to 105mm?

I use my Canon 24-105 f4L most of the time on my camera...initially on a 60D and now a 5D3. Most of my work is indoors at church, as well. I do about 1/2 of my shots with a flash and half without. The key is to learn now to make the best use of what you got...even if it only goes to f4. A monopod and slower shutter speeds in the 1/20-1/40 are the rule. And most of the shots will end up with subject movement. Of course, simply bouncing an external flash solves the low light issues, and also takes care of most of the screwy lighting WB issues as well.

Do I like having f2.8 lenses and faster in my bag when doing indoor work. Absolutely yes. But to me, having a reasonably long zoom range in a single lens with IS trumps a single f-stop. And, the 24-105 is absolutely perfect as a walk around lens outdoors for cityscapes and trains that I occassionally photograph as well. If I could only have 1 lens, the 24-105 is it.

I don't think anyone would argue that but VC on the Tamron is the same as IS plus the full stop to me makes it more enticing for me. Plus your 5d mk iii is awesome in low light....not so much for the T4i. The 24-105 is a great range too.

Question 1: What's the highest acceptable ISO your body shoots at with no cropping:

A. With no post processing help at all.
B. With noise reduction of some sort in post production.

Question 2: How does f/4 work in low light conditions, given the answers to A and B above?

Don't be afraid of using higher ISO values to compensate for low light/higher f-stop conditions, especially a single f-stop difference. Just know where your limits are and work within them. If that doesn't get you there, and ONE SINGLE STOP more will, then you have a case for it.

Question 1: What's the highest acceptable ISO your body shoots at with no cropping:

Question 2: How does f/4 work in low light conditions, given the answers to A and B above?

Don't be afraid of using higher ISO values to compensate for low light/higher f-stop conditions, especially a single f-stop difference. Just know where your limits are and work within them. If that doesn't get you there, and ONE SINGLE STOP more will, then you have a case for it.

I know I am not the OP but since I have the same body and in the market for a similar range I am interested in this convo.

The highest acceptable for me without using the four shot reduction feature is ISO 1600 but when using my 50mm at f/2.8 I can bump down to ISO 800 and come up with good pictures using a tripod or monopod. I personally have been looking at either the 24-70mm f/2.8 or the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. The IS is very attractive to me considering the 17-55 on my crop body is essentially 24-70 give or take a few mm and the true 24-70 does not have IS. I am new but that full stop does tend to help from what I have experienced

I had the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC (Nikon) and I felt it was just too soft at f/2.8 to be usable. It really wasn't all that good below f/5.6. (my experience)

Answer 1: My iso for t3i goes up to 12800.
Answer 2: I don't know that well about how f/4 works in low light conditions. I've been invited to a private culture performance and I was one of the photographers, so with my cheap equipment, I had a bit of a challenge. Canon gives a very sharp image, but the f4 worries me. Tamron provides a fast lens, but a lot of people complain about soft focus.

Do you shoot a lot at focal length between 17mm - 24mm? What about from 50mm to 105mm?

I've been invited to a culture performance inside a campus theatre, so it was packed in there. Also I was front seat capturing images so sometimes I need the wide angle. I also do landscapes so I tend to use the wide a lot. I've used 50mm quite a couple of times. I don't use 105mm a lot because I didn't have the time to change lens back and forth between the 18-55 and 55-250. I'd like to start practicing telephoto photography though!

Canon EF 17-55 F/2.8 ?

I do not have the sufficient funds to purchase this yet...maybe you can donate me some money?
:sillysmi: Haha :)

Answer 1: My iso for t3i goes up to 12800.
Do you find the images made at ISO 12800 acceptable?
Answer 2: I don't know that well about how f/4 works in low light conditions.
You should test it to find out, so that you'll know what your acceptable limits are.

For your camera 24-105 might not be wide enough to make it a good walk about lens. The tamron 17-50 without the vc generally gets better reviews and owning it I think its a good lens. The t3i has the same sensor as the 7d which I own and I can use iso 6400 at times if I get it right. This may not be used for a scrutinised shot. Everyone will have their standard here but high iso in cameras are there to be used if required

For your camera 24-105 might not be wide enough to make it a good walk about lens. The tamron 17-50 without the vc generally gets better reviews and owning it I think its a good lens. The t3i has the same sensor as the 7d which I own and I can use iso 6400 at times if I get it right. This may not be used for a scrutinised shot. Everyone will have their standard here but high iso in cameras are there to be used if required

....I give up trying to thrown in my input but I agree with this but add the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM rather than the Tamron.

WillK said:
I've been invited to a culture performance inside a campus theatre, so it was packed in there. Also I was front seat capturing images so sometimes I need the wide angle. I also do landscapes so I tend to use the wide a lot. I've used 50mm quite a couple of times. I don't use 105mm a lot because I didn't have the time to change lens back and forth between the 18-55 and 55-250. I'd like to start practicing telephoto photography though!

If most of your shots or shots that you need to take require focal length wider than 24mm with your camera, then of course you need a lens that can do the job. Take a look at the photos you took at the campus theatre, is there any of them you really like and it taken with focal length wider than 24mm? If yes, I will suggest take a look at the lens that cover that range. I think those from Tamron, Tokina, Sigma and Canon (of course the Nikon lens that works with Nikon cameras) are pretty good.

I have the Non-VC Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for few years and I like it. The only draw back of that lens is the AF. It is slower and nosier when compare with the Canon USM lens. It draws attentions in a very quite room. But 99% time I am not using that in a very quite room, so it does not really matter much.

If I have a full frame camera, I will go with the 24-105mm f/4 for sure as a walk around lens. But for my Canon cropped cameras, I prefer 17-50mm as my walk around lens because of the wider focal length.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back