Canon Lens Help

HFPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello I am just starting in my own portrait photography business. I am slowly buying all my equipment. I use a Canon EOS XTI. I have 3 lens: standard lens comes with the body, a 75-300 zoom, my new lens 55mm F1.8. I was wondering what would be the next lens to get something between $400-$1000. I am doing mostly kids family and group photography but I might get into wedding photography. I was looking at either a wide angle lens or a 85mm f1.8 (but this seem a lot like me 55mm lens) or EF135mm f2.8 soft focus, or a fish eye lens? Any ideas or suggestions?

you probably have 50mm 1.8. Not 55. I would get Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L.

My first advice is to forget the fisheye lens - its a unique viewing angle and for most people it gets used a handful of times at most before being left in the bag for ages.

My serious advice is to stop and take stock of you gear and setup - going into the portrait business is more than just lenses and I think you need to consider the following - roughly in this order, but its no set list:

1) Lighting - indoor or outdoor portrait work is all about lighting your subjects. If you can't light or you are totally reliant on natural lighting you are going to encounter big problems. Now I don't know what (if any) lighting setup you are currently using, but very strongly recomend that you give thought, research and investment into a decent lighting setup.
I'm not well versed in this area with its specifics; but at the base level a 3 flash/strobe setup is often considered the basic standard for portrait lighting in a studio or outdoors.

2) Camera sensorsize - your current camera body is a decent body - put good pro grade glass infront of it and use it in well controled lighting and you can and will get impressive shots with it. However it is a limited body in many aspects and if you do consider moving toward wedding work I would strongly advise that you consider either a second hand 5D or the newer 5DM2. These bodies not only come with improved ISOs (a much bigger usable range which is imperative for working in low lighting conditions) but also feature a larger sensor size. This means that not only will your lenses act like there are more zoomed out, but also result in increased background blurring on your shots - something that you might find you desire for your portrait work

3) Lenses - a critical area like lighting. For portrait work an 85mm or 135mm would be good candidates to add to your setup depending on how you feel about your shooting style and the environments you work in. The 24-70mm f2.8 L that is mentioned above is also a very good lens to consider - it is the "bread and butter" lens of many a wedding and portrait photographer.

Overall I am advising you - from a photographic standpoint - that you might need to consider expanding your budget and also your equipment and possibly understandings from what you have at present. This is to not only improve you overall end product, but help to ensure that you are able to perform for your clients and get the shots on the day with the least amount of problems.

I think that before you run out and get a lens, you need to consider what focal length you find yourself shooting at that you don't have...

I assume that you're on a budget.. For actual portrait work, the 50mm 1.8 on a crop body will allow you to work in a small room while a 100 or 85 may be too long if you don't have the room to step back from the subject..

The 75-300 may be alright if you're at an outdoor event with lot's of room, but it seems a bit long for most of what you describe..

A 24-105 f4, or 24-70 f2.8 are good and where you may want to be, but expensive..

So, in the budget arena, the Canon 28-135 gets good marks without going the expense of L glass.. If you want L glass, and I think you should, then the 17-40L f4 is a nice walk-around event lens on a crop body.

LOL Schwetty.

I bet you keep recommending that lens because you want one so bad. :lol:

Hey I want one too!

I have even considered selling my 85 1.2L to get one...

I wouldn't buy any lens at the moment because you don't know what you want, keep saving and buy quality and not cheap crap

I would have bought that lens first if I didnt see a good deal on local CL for 70-200 LOL. I figured I could always use the flash with lower mm for now :(.

LOL Schwetty.

I bet you keep recommending that lens because you want one so bad. :lol:

Hey I want one too!

I have even considered selling my 85 1.2L to get one...

Hello I am just starting in my own portrait photography business. I am slowly buying all my equipment. I use a Canon EOS XTI. I have 3 lens: standard lens comes with the body, a 75-300 zoom, my new lens 55mm F1.8. I was wondering what would be the next lens to get something between $400-$1000. I am doing mostly kids family and group photography but I might get into wedding photography. I was looking at either a wide angle lens or a 85mm f1.8 (but this seem a lot like me 55mm lens) or EF135mm f2.8 soft focus, or a fish eye lens? Any ideas or suggestions?
If I were you I would wait until I was sure of what I needed. Peoples shooting styles vary and what works for some won't be comfortable for others. How long have you been shooting? What focal ranges do you find yourself using? What types of shoots are you doing (studio, indoor location, outdoor location, natural light, etc)? Have you considered renting any of these lenses to determine how they work for you? I'm assuming if you have the kit lens that you have the 18mm-300mm focal ranges covered. From there you really ought to be able to tell where you do most of your shooting and judge accordingly.

Most reactions

Back