canon lens popularity

den9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
how come when you go to an event all you see is white lenses? i thought nikon is just as popular as canon but it seems everyone who shoots long uses canon.

It's not so much that there are only white lenses there, it's just that you do only see the white lenses because well, they stand out. But, it's true that at sporting events, the majority of lenses are Canon, and I do believe it's because for a while, the digital cameras Canon offered were faster than those Nikon was offering at the same time, and well, once someone is into a system, they generally stay. Nikon is just as popular as Canon to my knowledge. Look at wildlife photographers, Nikon mostly. It's all about what you're shooting.

After shooting and loving Nikon for 35+ years in the film world I switched to Canon when it came time to go digital. I love to shoot sports and Canon fit the bill where Nikon did not. Canon has long been the system of choice for sport shooters. Canon designed features into some of their bodies that were geared towards the sports shooter and at the time they surpassed Nikon with their high ISO performance. Not just their top bodies, but the prosumer bodies as well. Their top line glass is fantastic. Most of those people and or the entities they shoot for have a lot of money tied up in some very expensive glass and they are not just going to dump it. The Canon 400mm f2.8 is the preferred lens by many on the sidelines of outdoors events. At $6500 -$7500 that is not a lens you just decided to pack away in a closet. Not when they can easily do the job with camera's like the 1D MIIn or the 1D MIII.

Most reactions

Back