Canon Lenses

Crystal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! I'm new here and I'm looking foward to learning more about photography. i have just purchased a canon 7D and i'm researching what lenses to buy? My photographer friend has suggested EF70-200 f2.8 as a must have lense- with out the IS and i know i would use it cause twice a year i help him out with school formals but it does seem a bit too big for me. I love photography but i really lack the confidence to do paid work, so if i'm not making money i can't really justify spending huge $$$ on lenses. Any advice??

I can't help much because even I'm not pro I expend a lot of money on lenses!
Once you start on this journey that's no way back...
"Go with the flow..." :lol:

You'd think that, but with even a halfway decent job and some good budgeting, its very doable as a hobby. I don't make any money with my photography, but I find it in my personal budget to further my love for shooting photos. :)

Welcome to the forum.

So how much can you spend? What do you like to shoot?

If it's too big, consider the 70-200 f/4, or even better, the 85mm 1.8 or 1.2 and the 135 f/2.

All of which are sharper smoother, faster, and depending on which, cheaper than any of their 70-200's.

50mm or the nifty fifty as it's has come to be called is a very inexpensive and VERY sharp lens. It produces wonderful bokeh and is fantastic in low light conditions due to it VERY wide aperture.. I love it and it was only 100 U.S. dollars. You can find it cheaper and also more expensive depending on where you get it from.. I got mine at b&hphoto.com. I want the 70-200 f/2.8L as well.If I get another lens, it's next on my list. I really need to get a super-wide aka the18-55mm kit lens. I opted to not get it and went with the 50mm instead. Hope this helps

Cool - this was posted a long time ago!

Since then I have purchased the:
24-105 f/4
70-200 f/2.8
50mm 1.8
elinchrom Dlite it 4 it

My next purchases will be the 100mm macro f2.8 and the 50mm f/4.

Someone said once you start, you can't stop - I would have to agree!

50mm or the nifty fifty as it's has come to be called is a very inexpensive and VERY sharp lens. It produces wonderful bokeh
The quality of the bokeh the 50 f/1.8 II produces is about as poor as bokeh gets, and one of the reasons the lens is so inexpensive.The bokeh is of poor quality because the lens has only 5 aperture blades, and the minumum # of lens elements to get the job done.

I suspect when you mention bokeh you are actually referring to the shallow DOF (blurred background) attainable with wide apeture lenses. You cannot adjust the bokeh a lens produces, but you can adjust the DOF.

In other words bokeh and a blurred background (shallow DOF) are not the same thing.

But thanks for digging up the old thread. I'm sure all the information, will be useful to others.

i would spend more on the lens than the body..

Most reactions

Back