Canon macro lens!!!!

Lsingh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been using canon 100mm macro lens from last 5 years and I primarily take aquarium reef pics with that lens . I consider my self a beginner photograph and take good pics at least to my eye pleasing . Do wanted to treat my self with a better option now after years now and considering now the 100mm L series macro lens or even 180mm . I do use a tripod and rarely handheld . 100mm is just about good with the distance I need but don't know if 180mm has extra bells and whistles besides the distance . Also how about sigma lens . Money is not an issue but don't wana spend $$$$.

Optically speaking the gains will be marginal - what are you really having trouble with with your current setup that you want to improve upon? Might help to show a few photos and we might see if there is something that could give you a big boost that isn't a new lens.

Considering hte kind of photography you're doing a new approach to lighting could make a vast difference to what you get.

Optically speaking the gains will be marginal - what are you really having trouble with with your current setup that you want to improve upon? Might help to show a few photos and we might see if there is something that could give you a big boost that isn't a new lens.

Considering hte kind of photography you're doing a new approach to lighting could make a vast difference to what you get.

Well Said. There are a number of factors that can improve photos besides the lens. I just picked up the 100mm L IS Macro and it is a fantastic lens, but if you already own the 100mm macro the biggest benefit is the IS which you won't use if you shoot with a tripod. Optically I understand they are very close so the main difference would be the IS.

I know people who have the 180 and they love it. As stated by others the IQ gain would be marginal because the regular 100 macro is so good, but with the 180 you get longer working distance which can be really helpful. Whether that is worth the money is something only you can judge.

I use the 100mm L most of the time, it's my favorite lens at the moment. After reading a lot about the "Non-L"-Version, the difference in IQ is nearly none. With the L-Version you get the IS wich you only benefit without tripod and the waterproofness....so should you lens fall into the aquarium your on the better side with the L-Lens, otherwise you won't get much difference.
Can't say something to the 180mm-Lens but the obviously about more tele.

Overread's hint with the new light is a really great option, think about that, you maybe get more out of your pictures by better lighting than an lens with more focal length ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back