Canon or Nikon as my first camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gabriel, pick the camera that feels best in you hand and is easiest to access menu if you're doing paid work, to minimize missed shots.

Only Pentax is truly backward-compatible 🤣

Not true.

The Pentax Spotmatic used a THREAD mount, not a bayonet mount.
Not that the decision to switch to the bayonet mount was not a good one. It was, the thread mount was a PITA for someone who changed lenses often.

• Haha
Reactions: pez
Not true.

Not that the decision to switch to the bayonet mount was not a good one. It was, the thread mount was a PITA for someone who changed lenses often.
So yes, Pentax used the M42 screw mount until 1975, but one simple adaptor allows all subsequent K-mount Pentax 35mm and APS-C bodies to use the M42 lenses. A current K-mount body can use M42 and practically all the various K-mount incarnations ever made.

Not true.

And with said adapter (Mamiya excepted). You have tons of cheap lenses to choose from

Reactions: pez
The sad truth is starting out to be a pro at anything, is not up to you. It is up to the clientele you choose. Why should someone choose you to do their photos? What can you offer them that established photographers cannot?

As a musician friend of mine once told me, if you play for free or cheap, you will always have gigs. However, all you have is an expensive hobby.

A serious hobby can lead to a career. But, as mentioned you need a plan, with a set of goals to measure your progress.

You may also find that after the umpteenth wedding, you may not want to make it your lifes work.

Good luck,

The sad truth is starting out to be a pro at anything, is not up to you. It is up to the clientele you choose. Why should someone choose you to do their photos? What can you offer them that established photographers cannot?

As a musician friend of mine once told me, if you play for free or cheap, you will always have gigs. However, all you have is an expensive hobby.

A serious hobby can lead to a career. But, as mentioned you need a plan, with a set of goals to measure your progress.

You may also find that after the umpteenth wedding, you may not want to make it your lifes work.

Good luck,
It only took me one wedding to conclude that I hated it. Er, being the wedding photographer, that is...

AutoFocus. Nikon used THREE different autofocus methods.
AF and AF-D used a mechanical drive. The AF motor is in the camera.
Totally untrue. Nikon used TWO different auto focus methods. The first had the motor in the camera (AF-Nikkor), the second had the motor in the lens (AF-x Nikkor). And as anyone who actually knows anything about Nikon's lens designations knows, the "D" designation does not have, not has it ever had, anything whatever to do with lens focus.

Last edited:
Totally untrue. Nikon used TWO different auto focus methods. The first had the motor in the camera (AF-Nikkor), the second had the motor in the lens (AF-x Nikkor). And as anyone who actually knows anything about Nikon's lens designations knows, the "D" designation does not have, not has it ever had, anything whatever to do with lens focus.

Yes at a basic level, there are two; AF motor in camera, and AF motor in lens.

AF and AF-D lenses are both mechanical, AF motor in the camera.
Right or wrong, AF and AF-D are how the lenses are identified.

We will disagree on AF-S vs. AF-P.
Yes both use an AF motor in the lens, but the AF motor is different, AF-S = Silent Wave vs. AF-P = Pulse/Stepper, that Nikon has them identified different. And that also affect compatibility. If your camera is not fully compatible with AF-P, you cannot even manually focus the lens, as it is "focus by wire."

I want to start in photography professionally and I'm in doubt between two cameras, the Nikon D3300 or the Canon T3i. I'm going to buy used, and the price of them together with the lenses I want to use will be the same, so in terms of price, there's no difference. I want to use it for weddings and outdoor shoots, so I'm going to buy a 35mm and an 18-135mm lens. Which of the two cameras is better? I have this doubt because the D3300 has 24 megapixels and in addition to having an iso of 12800 while the T3i has an iso of 6400 and 18 megapixels, I know that I will not use an iso of 12800, but I imagine that because it has a higher iso it may have a smaller amount of grain in a larger iso which would help me a lot in weddings and nights shoots!
Hey,
I actually started with a phone: HUAWEI P40 PRO , great one.

Yes at a basic level, there are two; AF motor in camera, and AF motor in lens.

AF and AF-D lenses are both mechanical, AF motor in the camera.
Right or wrong, AF and AF-D are how the lenses are identified.

We will disagree on AF-S vs. AF-P.
Yes both use an AF motor in the lens, but the AF motor is different, AF-S = Silent Wave vs. AF-P = Pulse/Stepper, that Nikon has them identified different. And that also affect compatibility. If your camera is not fully compatible with AF-P, you cannot even manually focus the lens, as it is "focus by wire."
I'm aware that I sound argumentative, but I'm trying to undeceive those who may actually believe the false information being spewed about how Nikon described their various lens iterations. For instance, you mention the non-existent AF-D lens - please explain exactly what lens this is supposed to be. If I'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit it!

Link to a Nikon Asia site describing the AF line of lenses, with AF-D mentioned as a type, on a Nikon site. It's an old site, images don't load and links don't seem to work, but it's Nikon's words using AF-D as a term for the lens type.

For the most part, D lenses are identified as, for example, 50mm f/1.8D, and not labeled on the lens as AF-D, although AF-D is a common term referring to A lenses with the D spec (communicating distance data to the camera,) to differentiate from the AF lenses that do not communicate distance information to the camera. If I'm looking for a legacy AF lens, I'll be looking for the D, and I can search just about anywhere for AF-D and find them.

The statement that original AF lenses and the later D-spec AF lenses require a motor in the camera is absolutely correct. If the lens has a motor, it will be an AF-S or the newer AF-P.

Similarly, AF-G lenses are not labeled as such on the lens, they will be labeled something like AF-S 55-200 f/4-5.6G, with the G at the end, like the D was. Still AF-G is a reference to any autofocus lens without an aperture ring. I'm not sure any G lens exists that is not AF-S, with a built-in focusing motor.

Last edited:
If you insist on the DSLR route, I'd pick the D3300 between your two choices. If you are able to stretch a little more I'd go with a Canon EOS R10 w/EF adapter and extra batteries.

Have used/owned both. Either is fine for getting started.

Kinda a Ford vs. Chevy debate, really. They will both get you there.

I want to start in photography professionally and I'm in doubt between two cameras, the Nikon D3300 or the Canon T3i. I'm going to buy used, and the price of them together with the lenses I want to use will be the same, so in terms of price, there's no difference. I want to use it for weddings and outdoor shoots, so I'm going to buy a 35mm and an 18-135mm lens. Which of the two cameras is better? I have this doubt because the D3300 has 24 megapixels and in addition to having an iso of 12800 while the T3i has an iso of 6400 and 18 megapixels, I know that I will not use an iso of 12800, but I imagine that because it has a higher iso it may have a smaller amount of grain in a larger iso which would help me a lot in weddings and nights shoots!
Either camera would be fine for a rank beginner, but seriously expecting to "start in photography professionally" is bordering on insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back