Canon or Nikon

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am about to make my first purchase of a high quality camera. I want this decision to be a good one, but I keep hearing different opinions claiming one brand is better than the other. Any advice on what to keep in mind when purchasing my new camera? I am a photo student, and work a lot of wedding gigs and senior portrait shoots. Art photo also has high impact on my works.

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much! :thumbup:

This is a hairy topic. They both make great cameras as far as I can tell. You will find most people say what they own, is best lol.

EXCEPT on here. A lot of people on here use both, which surprised me.

I bought a Nikon D40 to get started.

Nikon is by far the superior camera, anything Canon is pure crap.

That was a joke

They are both equals and you should pick the one you think will work best for you.

Please lock it lock it while there's still time.......

I chose Canon because of their high ISO performance since I shoot weddings. However, the new Nikon's have great high ISO performance as well.

Coke or Pepsi? Nike or Reebok? Ford, Chevy or Dodge? Red or Blue?

People will argue both sides until they are blue in the face (or in this case, fingers).

The reality is that they are both very good brands and they each offer a great range of products to suit a beginner, an amateur or a professional.

We won't tolerate a pissing match between Canon & Nikon users (or any other brand)...so let's not go there please.

Grab one and see what you prefer. Go into your local camera shot try it out. I got a great deal on my first canon 5 years ago and am still using canon. The lenses available suit me. As long as you don't end up living in the fantasy world that one or the other brand makes a camera that is 10000 times better. If I had to start from scratch now I would find it a hard choice and would choose camera best suited to circumstances.

Nikon or Canon are both equals, but one system might be a little bit better in some areas depending on what you're doing. Nothing you mentioned is specific enough to suggest one or the other. Just go try them out for feel, ease of use, how well you can hold them and reach buttons, knobs, and wheels, etc. That's really the most important thing. For whatever reason my hands are not physically compatible with and cannot comfortably reach a lot of the controls on the Canon bodies, whereas the Nikons fit like a glove and were far better. I know others are the exact opposite, but that was most of it for me as far as choosing my system. I do like a lot of stuff in the Canon system and have seriously considered switching or shooting both in the past. I'm sure eventually I'll be a "dual shooter" since there are some very specific things I want that are available in the Canon system but not in Nikon, and vice versa.

MAV has a good point, as do others here. Both are good... try them out yourself and see what feels better in your hands as well as trying them out and see which ones you like sing better.

Me? My father was a Nikon man... I went Nikon and am happier than a pig in... well, you know what I mean... lol.

I second trying them both out at the store. I also had conflicting advice about which was better. I tried them both and in the end went for Nikon. Both make great cameras though. Nikon just fit me better, the way it felt, the viewfinder... So I went the way that felt better to me. You have to decide which fits you.

I am about to make my first purchase of a high quality camera. I want this decision to be a good one, but I keep hearing different opinions claiming one brand is better than the other. Any advice on what to keep in mind when purchasing my new camera? I am a photo student, and work a lot of wedding gigs and senior portrait shoots. Art photo also has high impact on my works.

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much! :thumbup:

I may can not help you but maybe others who can want to know how much you want to spend at maximum? I think you only need one good zoom lens from wide to portrait telephoto for the camera. Beside that maybe flash and a tripod. I assume you are going to make this tools for a living in the near future.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back