Canon Rebel 300d

TheBoombaGnome

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys!!

So I've been hunting for my first dSLR for a while now. I didn't want to buy new, just because of the price (I'm a broke college student), but I was prepared to once the cash came in...

Well I was hanging out w/ a group of people out at school, and this girl mentioned that her parents were trying to sell a Canon Rebel 300D for a pretty cheap price. She said they just want to get rid of it (they're pro photogs) because they recently picked up a newer camera...

Now I know that this isn't the nicest, newest camera on the market. I mean, lets be honest, it doesn't even have a LCD Viewfinder (gotta use the eye cup). But that's just about the only thing that bothers me, and for $150 with kit lens and a few other things, I won't complain...

I was curious what you guys think about it? I'm not sure on the shutter count or anything yet...I'm meeting her out at school tomorrow morning to check it out and see what kind of condition it's in. But knowing its a used camera, do you feel that for my first dSLR, this would be a halfway decent idea???

Thanks guys....you rock!! :hug::
TBG

The 300D is a good starter DSLR. That's what I have and I've been happy with it. Take a took at some of my posts. You'll see it's a capable camera.

The only real downsides are it's only 6MP, so cropping images is a no-no if you plan to print them, and the sensor can get noisy in low light situations.

$150 is a good price. Usually that's what the body alone would go for. The kit lens is very versatile, so you'll be able to shoot a lot with it. I say go for it! :thumbup::thumbup:

The 300D is a good starter DSLR. That's what I have and I've been happy with it. Take a took at some of my posts. You'll see it's a capable camera.

The only real downsides are it's only 6MP, so cropping images is a no-no if you plan to print them, and the sensor can get noisy in low light situations.

$150 is a good price. Usually that's what the body alone would go for. The kit lens is very versatile, so you'll be able to shoot a lot with it. I say go for it! :thumbup::thumbup:
When you say noisy in low light situations, do you mean like doing things like Light Painting, or like just general short shots in low light w/ the flash? I know thats a strange question, but I have a mild love and borderline obsession with Light painting...its just so fun...when me and my friends get bored, we just draw things with flashlights...lmao!!! :lmao:

Here's some examples. Both of these examples were taken with a 300D and the kit lens.

It works well for light painting. Here's one I did with my cousin:

light.jpg

What I meant was if you do long exposures (like 30 seconds or more) there will be "hot spots", which are little red or blue pixels that should be another color or black. They're pretty easy to get rid of with the clone tool in photoshop. Here's what they look like:

hotspot.jpg

You can get a little more out of that camera with the firmware hack: Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel Tips and Tricks
Thanks man...I'll for sure take a look at that, cause it's not like voiding the warantee is really a big deal at this point, as i'm sure it's already expired! lol.

Here's some examples. Both of these examples were taken with a 300D and the kit lens.

It works well for light painting. Here's one I did with my cousin:

light.jpg

What I meant was if you do long exposures (like 30 seconds or more) there will be "hot spots", which are little red or blue pixels that should be another color or black. They're pretty easy to get rid of with the clone tool in photoshop. Here's what they look like:

hotspot.jpg
Okay, I see what you mean now...and i mean, that seems like it'd be pretty easy to fix, which is nice....btw, both really cool shots :thumbup:

Thanks guys!

You can get a little more out of that camera with the firmware hack: Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel Tips and Tricks

Good tip! I forgot to mention the firmware hacks. You can essentially turn the 300D into a 10D. I use the "Undutchables" firmware on mine. It adds things like RAW+JPG, being able to change the autofocus mode from one of the arrow buttons, and ISO 3200 sensitivity (though it's super noisy).

So i got it...:)

img00092201010051352.jpg

She told me that the battery is kinda starting to lose its hold, so i'm buying one online right now and then picking up a case...but these people kept everything...manuals, registration cards, everything...so stoked tos tart shooting!!!

Congrats! Post some shots when you get the chance!

You might consider getting two batteries. When I'm out shooting, I usually burn through one of the batteries and have to switch out for the other. Only rarely do I burn through both.

Congrats! Post some shots when you get the chance!

You might consider getting two batteries. When I'm out shooting, I usually burn through one of the batteries and have to switch out for the other. Only rarely do I burn through both.

I was thinking that...the battery that they have doens't really hold a long charge, so I just bought one online...I'm going to see when I go out on Saturday how that works out...a full charged one and one w/ like a half time charged to see, cause we'll be out for the day...I'll see how that works...now, do you use one from Canon or do you just use an off brand one??

Both of mine are Canon. One's starting to lose some of it's capacity. It's probably 75% of the other one. The only reason I have two is because my first 300D had it's shutter self destruct, so I bought another. The second one came with a battery and I have my old one. It works out really well.

What brand are you looking at? Or is it one of those cheapies from Hong Kong? I buy laptop batteries that way (from Hong Kong) and so far have been happy. When I worked at Circuit City (RIP :() we sold energizer replacements and they seemed to work well, too.

What brand are you looking at? Or is it one of those cheapies from Hong Kong? I buy laptop batteries that way (from Hong Kong) and so far have been happy. When I worked at Circuit City (RIP :() we sold energizer replacements and they seemed to work well, too.

I actually bought this one: Amazon.com: High Capacity Battery For Canon EOS 5D, 10D, 20D, 20Da, 30D, 40D, 50D, D30, D40, And 300D/Digital Rebel SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Mostly because of the cost, and I just kinda need it now, due to the short life of the current one, I just need something that can last longer than an hour, you know??

Only real issue i'm having right now is that they did not have the disk that came with it(EOS Digital Solutions Disk) and I really wanted to install these programs and see what they do, but I can't find them. And on the Canon site, it only has the updaters which require the original disk...I also can't seem to get it connected via Remote Capture, but I think thats a compatibility issue, seeing as I'm running Windows 7 x64, and I had to tell the canon site I'm running XP to even see it. lol

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back