Canon rebel xs

Ya ok it is kit lens :( do which lens would you recommend for doing pics of people?

quote from above:

"With some good glass and an understanding of photography fundamentals, it's a very capable camera."

Concentrate on the second of those two items first, the glass can wait awhile.

Joe

lyonsroar said:
I think it's good...

golden by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

UWA by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

baby_composite by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

Lily B&W by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

Wanna see more?

Flickr: Lyonsroar91's Photostream

What lens do you use?

Ah see there's the kicker...

#1 Sigma 10-20mm Ultra Wide Angle lens -- ~$470
#2 Sigma 10-20mm Ultra Wide Angle lens -- ~$470
#3 Canon 50mm f1.8 -- ~$120
#4 Canon 50mm f1.8 -- ~$120 & Vivitar 383 Flashgun -- ~$130

My Sigma UWA cost way more what my Rebel XS did.
(keep in mind I've been doing this for over a year so I like to think I have a good grasp of the fundamentals...:lol:)

So apparently I really don't know much about this and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and intimidated by all of this :( thank you so much for your responses.

So apparently I really don't know much about this and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and intimidated by all of this :( thank you so much for your responses.

We've all been there (well I've been there and regularly find myself still there). I'm going to recommend reading your camera manual at least twice and "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, it's a highly recommended book here on the forum. It will break down the exposure triangle for you and get you going in the right direction. Reading this book helped me a ton. Don't be afraid to post pictures for cc and ask for help. Most here are more than willing to help you and answer questions.

Your camera and your lens are quite capable of taking good sharp photos. It's all up to you lto learn how. there is a learning curve and the first part should be reading the manual front to back and keep it with you. Also looking up the exposure triangle and understanding how that affects your camera settings. Good Luck and hang in there.:thumbup:

Jesus, worry more about shooting than what your camera is capable of. It's not about what your camera is capable of, it's what YOURE capable of.

And yes your camera is fine.

MWC2 said:
We've all been there (well I've been there and regularly find myself still there). I'm going to recommend reading your camera manual at least twice and "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, it's a highly recommended book here on the forum. It will break down the exposure triangle for you and get you going in the right direction. Reading this book helped me a ton. Don't be afraid to post pictures for cc and ask for help. Most here are more than willing to help you and answer questions.

I will have to read that... Thanks

Exposure triangle and frame composition are the 2 most important things you want to know IMHO. I only reference back to the manual whenever I need to use something that I don't know or can't remember. :D

Last edited:
Heh! I was searching for my next lens and this post helped :) the canon 50mm F/1.8 seems to be my next purchase. I wish it included the IS.

This one got dragged up from a couple of months ago!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back