Canon rebel xs

cccott3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I'm new here! I have a canon rebel xs and just wondering what people thought of the camera?

My sister has it and takes good shots of her son with it - that's all she ever intends to use it for. I've had it's big brother, the XSi, for about 2 years and I'm just now starting to feel like I'm outgrowing it. They're great cameras to start with and pretty cheap. Until you can say for certain that the camera is lacking a function that's limiting you... I'd say it serves you just fine.

Thanks for responding. Do you think this camera is capable of taking professional quality pictures? (just like to do my my family not for money) I really am just starting to shoot out of auto and playing with it more

It's a great little starter camera, and very capable of taking print quality photos. I know of a couple of people who rock their Rebels.

Thanks for responding. Do you think this camera is capable of taking professional quality pictures? (just like to do my my family not for money) I really am just starting to shoot out of auto and playing with it more
That mostly depends on the glass used. It's certainly better to have a cheap body and great lens, than to have some fancy full-frame expensive camera and shoot with kit lens :)

Do you think this camera is capable of taking professional quality pictures?
There is no doubt the camera is capable, if it is used by a knowledgeable and sufficiently skilled photographer.

The Canon XS is an entry-level, consumer grade camera, not a professional grade camera.

Professional quality photographs are usually made with supplimental lighting. Supplimental lighting ranges from using simple reflectors to using off camera strobed lighting (flash).

Tomasko said:
That mostly depends on the glass used. It's certainly better to have a cheap body and great lens, than to have some fancy full-frame expensive camera and shoot with kit lens :)

Yikes probably have a kit lens... How do I know and what do I need?

subscuck said:
With some good glass and an understanding of photography fundamentals, it's a very capable camera.

What do you mean a good glass? Sorry I don't know much about my camera

Good glass = $$$. If your lens is an 18-55 3.5-5.6, it's a kit lens. Fast primes (50 1.4, 30 1.4, 85 1.8, etc., as well as the more expensive zooms) would be "good glass". Basically, lenses with excellent image quality, color rendition, contrast and bokeh quality would be "good glass". "Great glass" OTOH, = even more $$$.

Ya ok it is kit lens :( do which lens would you recommend for doing pics of people?

Get yourself a 50mm f1.8 it's only about $100 - $150 its a great start to prime lenses, I have the "some fancy full-frame expensive camera" and shoot portraits with this lens. It's not a professional grade lens but it's a great starter

F1.8 at 1/40 sec
IMG_0281_1.jpg

Most reactions

Back