CANON REBEL XSI/EDIT QUESTION

s061aew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was given a Canon Rebel XSI camera for Christmas along with Photoshop Elements 7. There is option to adjust my image quality under settings. I had it on maximum which is 12.2 mp/72 dpi per the book. When I edited them (through Picasa, I havent figured out PS7) I printed them out and they were blurryyy beyond belief. It made me sick. I got to reading and I read that I should have my setting on RAW. And then edit it in PS and then adjust the DPI to 200. Could this have been my blurry problem??The reason I know it's not me is b/c a. I have a image stabalizer and b. all the pics I didn't edit were perfect. Please respond and help me. It is too great a camera for me to put it down b/c I don't know what I am doing. Thanks:heart:

what did you use to print them?

I took them to Walmart and had them printed. They were so blurry like someone running. But yet on my computer they were beatiful. I didn't know anything about layering the pics though. Since my dlevastating day I have been reading, and I think I messed up by editing through Picasa b/c I would ok to sharpen, auto color, and then I would soften and it was all on top of each other. I guess I really don;t know, that is why I am asking.

For printing I usually use 350 to 400 dpi
Make sure you flatten layers which in photoshop elements should be under the layers menu item.
Also when you save, if you can, save the file in tiff format.

Can we take a look at an example if possible - that would give us an idea of what you are seeing on the computer.

As for shooting in RAW its not essentail and I would recomend that you either shoot in JPEG fine or JPEG + RAW since every RAW shot must be edited (like a film negative) before it can be used as a photo file. This is an extra step and allows you to take greater control over editing done on a photo, however when starting out JPEGs are easier as they are already partly processed by the camera. RAWs will looks softer and more noisey than a JPEG.
If you save in RAW+JEPG you will get 2 files for each shot one a JPEG and one a RAW - then you have a JPEG you can work on in the early days and a RAW for better editing later on if you choose to. Note that this will use up memory card space quicker

I was given a Canon Rebel XSI camera for Christmas along with Photoshop Elements 7. There is option to adjust my image quality under settings. I had it on maximum which is 12.2 mp/72 dpi per the book.
This is through the camera Menu, right? And the book you're talking about is the owner's manual that came with the XSi?
When I edited them (through Picasa, I havent figured out PS7).
Did you try using the Canon software that came with the XSi? Digital Photo Professional (DPP) is made to work with your XSi and does a nice job of editing your pictures (RAW or JPEG). If you also got Canon ZoomBrowser EX (ZBEX) on the CD, it's a nice organizer that can also do some editing.
I printed them out and they were blurryyy beyond belief. It made me sick. I got to reading and I read that I should have my setting on RAW.
What are you reading that is telling you to do these things?

I would give DPP a try before moving on to Photoshop Elements 7 (PSE 7)...DPP is much easier to learn and use (there's a electronic manual on the CD to help you use DPP) than PSE 7. PSE 7 is a much more powerful image editor but as you found out it can be difficult to learn. There are 2 good books that can help you with PSE 7...[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Elements-7-Missing-Manual/dp/0596521332/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231081700&sr=8-2"]Photoshop Elements 7: The Missing Manual[/ame] and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Elements-Digital-Photographers-Voices/dp/0321565959/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231081700&sr=8-7"]The Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 Book for Digital Photographers[/ame].
And then edit it in PS and then adjust the DPI to 200. Could this have been my blurry problem??
Something did go wrong but it's hard to say what at this point.
The reason I know it's not me is b/c a. I have a image stabalizer and b. all the pics I didn't edit were perfect.
They printed out fine? Or do you mean they looked okay on the monitor?
Please respond and help me. It is too great a camera for me to put it down b/c I don't know what I am doing. Thanks:heart:
Don't give up yet, this is a problem that you can overcome with a little help.
I took them to Walmart and had them printed.
How did you transport the image files? Did you burn them to a CD? Did you take your memory card? Did you use a USB flash drive? Did you send the pictures to WalMart through the internet?
They were so blurry like someone running. But yet on my computer they were beatiful. I didn't know anything about layering the pics though. Since my dlevastating day I have been reading, and I think I messed up by editing through Picasa b/c I would ok to sharpen, auto color, and then I would soften and it was all on top of each other.
Picasa doesn't use layering. All image edits are done right on the actual image.

Many people use Picasa to edit their photos and don't have problems when they print their pictures. We have to figure out at what point the problem that caused the blurry pictures happened.

You shot your pictures with the XSi set to the highest JPEG resolution. After you transfered them to the computer, the images looked fine. You edited them in Picasa and they still looked fine. But did you change the size of the photos? Did you crop and resize? When you saved, did you choose an unusual option? When you were at WalMart, did you use those little photo stations to change anything in your pictures?

We can figure out the problem but you must be very specific about what you did to your pictures when you edited them and how you saved them. How did you get them to WalMart and did you do anything to them while you were there?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back