Canon Remotes

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
RC1 and RC5? Also the wired remote?

Whats the best for self portraits, AND portraits of others.
Are any remotes good for both? Or should I just get two remotes lol...

I made my own wired remote, but thats not for everyone.

I read in someone else's post (a while back) that the wireless remotes for canon are only usable from the front since the sensor is there. So if your behind it and push the button nothing will happen. That is a factor in your decision for sure.

BYoung we have basically the same equipment lol except i have faster 50mm and diff battery grip.
AWESOME! lol we are so alike! :)

GREAT question...

The RC-1 is the better of the two.
The RC-5 is the sleeker of the two.

This is coming from first hand experience. When I had a Rebel XT, I purchased an RC-5. It can ONLY do the 2-second delay shot. So, I ended up buying the RC-1 to get the instant shutter option. The RC-1 has a switch to do either instant or 2-second delay shots.

On the other hand, BOTH of these require you to be pointing AT the camera, and in relatively close range, and nothing interfering.

I'd say - Go with a GadgetInfinity wireless shutter release system. I bought this same one (except for a 40D) and it works GREAT. The signal is RF, so you can hold it behind your back while using it and it doesn't have to be pointed directly at the camera. The button on this thing acts pretty much just like the shutter button on your camera. Halfway to AF, and press all the way down to make the shutter click.

Here's a link to the GadgetInfinity ones that work for the Rebel XT/XTi/XSi. http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Shutte...ryZ64345QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now...if you have an XXD series camera, that's a different scenario.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I made my own wired remote, but thats not for everyone.

I read in someone else's post (a while back) that the wireless remotes for canon are only usable from the front since the sensor is there. So if your behind it and push the button nothing will happen. That is a factor in your decision for sure.

Ya, I want the wired remote for when im not in the picture. And the wireless when im in the picture... blah!

GREAT question...

The RC-1 is the better of the two.
The RC-5 is the sleeker of the two.

This is coming from first hand experience. When I had a Rebel XT, I purchased an RC-5. It can ONLY do the 2-second delay shot. So, I ended up buying the RC-1 to get the instant shutter option. The RC-1 has a switch to do either instant or 2-second delay shots.

On the other hand, BOTH of these require you to be pointing AT the camera, and in relatively close range, and nothing interfering.

I'd say - Go with a GadgetInfinity wireless shutter release system. I bought this same one (except for a 40D) and it works GREAT. The signal is RF, so you can hold it behind your back while using it and it doesn't have to be pointed directly at the camera. The button on this thing acts pretty much just like the shutter button on your camera. Halfway to AF, and press all the way down to make the shutter click.

Here's a link to the GadgetInfinity ones that work for the Rebel XT/XTi/XSi. http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Shutte...ryZ64345QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now...if you have an XXD series camera, that's a different scenario.

Wow, thanks a lot! I think thats what im looking for!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ya, I want the wired remote for when im not in the picture. And the wireless when im in the picture... blah!

That GadgetInfinity one will do the trick. It's great no matter where you're standing!

I have an RC-1 and im not too fond of it. It is not always accurate. I find my self spending a lot of time trying to get it to trigger the shutter. I am probably going to get the gadgetinfinity one soon.

I wish I had known about that cactus wireless RF remote before I bought the wired one!! :grumpy:

Looks like a great idea.

I used to have a wireless one with my OTHER CAMERA.. and i would always loose it and i was constantly putting in new batteries. so with my 40d i got a wired one. its just much better for me. I wrap the extra cord around my tripod and its always at my finger tips. its the only way i shoot now and i can always find it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back