Canon S100 or Panasonic LX5. Which one to buy???

saabuldin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am struggling between the 2 cameras. I dont really care if LX5 is bigger and if S100 does not have hotshoe. I just want to know which of the 2 is better in image quality, full manual functionality and focus speeds and aperture.

Which one do you think is better. Any advice, pros and cons and whatever you think would help me make the decision would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

just to add, The lX5 has bigger sensor. Better shutter speed range. does this make it better in real world use.

If you prefer the Nikon P300 or Olympus XZ-1. Please say why you would choose one of these 2.

The LX5 almost definitely has better IQ with a bigger sensor and that nice Leica glass. The S100's real appeal is the fact that it is small as hell and easily fits in your pocket.

Edit: Fixed reading ability.

Last edited:
The LX5 almost definitely has better IQ with a bigger sensor and that nice Leica glass. You should also note that the LX5 is a fixed 24mm focal length, while the S100 is a 20-120 (although not constant aperture). The S100's real appeal is the fact that it is small as hell and easily fits in your pocket.

The LX5 specs say its 24-90mm. Am i missing something?

Neither...go for the Fuji X10

I bought the Powershot S100 because it is (not necessary better):
. Canon Powershot, I always buy
. over 1 year newer
. sensor is marginal smaller (1/1.8" vs 1/1.7") but newer (CMOS vs CCD), CCD appears to have been phased out in this class of cameras, however I do like CCD better but only with good light conditions
. 24mm f/2 at the wide end (btw, the ranges are 24-120mm vs 24-90mm)
. hot shoe is not important in this class of camera, external flash can be add via optical sync
. RAW and Jpeg files (both can)

I believe the LX5 takes a lens cap, I don't know it bothers you or not.

Last edited:
I bought the S100 also. In addition to all the reasons listed above me ^^^
- The lx5 only shoots video in 720p, where the s100 can do 1080p.
- The S100 has GPS to Geo tag shots if youre traveling

The only downside for me so far is that the battery life is a bit short. But, I just bought a spare battery so there ya go.

Most reactions

Back