What's new

Canon S95

pbelarge

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 11, 2010
Messages
2,680
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am getting back into shooting industry pics. I have not taken many in the last 15 months. I researched cameras and came up with the S95 as my choice. The main reason is it seems by my research to be pretty good with low light and has the largest sensor of any P&S made these days.

I have my first job shoot on Monday...two days to learn something about this camera.
 
It doesn't have the largest sensor of the P&S cameras... I guess that depends on how you define P&S I suppose. :) The sensor is 1/1.7" in size. That means the Micro 4/3rds cameras have larger sensors, thus better light gathering and shallower DoF. Then you have the new Sony NEX-5 with it's full 1.5x crop sensor (same size as the d300's sensor). That bad boy really shines in both low light performance and DoF.

I shoot a G12 which has the same sensor as the S95. Low light performance is just ok in terms of high ISO stuff. Image quality if you stay out of the digital zoom distances is respectable. I use mine for family snap shots mostly.

Of the pocket cameras though, I would say the S95 is the best on the market.
 
I would not consider 4/3 type cameras as P&S cameras.

I spent some time researching, and it was a choice between the S95 and the G12.
Since this camera is to be used for work, I decided against the G12. I will let you know how my experience is later this coming week.

I did practice with it today, I will download the images tomorrow.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom