CANON self-cleaning system

yangmanrui

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is the CANON dust self-cleaning system really effective or is it better to clean the dust manually?

man rui

Well as others are going to say, it helps keep it clean but obviously wont prevent the inevitable larger dust spots. I wouldn't bother cleaning my sensor manually unless it was effecting many of my shots.

From what I've heard...it just means you will have to clean your sensor less often.

Mine has the self cleaning thing. I wouldnt know how to clean it on my own tho. lol! I dont even know what I would be looking for TO clean.

Sarah, have you ever activated mirror lock-up without a lens mounted on your camera? If you've ever done that, you'd understand completely, because this is what you see. I'd say that ominous looking, bright green and blue thing looks like a pretty important component to me!

well my rebel has no dust right now and i've used it since November last year, i guess it's also how you take care of it,
anyways i've cleaned sensors and it's realy easy to do, get yourself a brush and a few Q tips hehe and one of those blow dust things you have to press so the "blow"

like this

it's the one i have...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It is nice to have, it works with dust and such but you still need to clean it or take it in to get cleaned yourself.

The manual I have tells you to take the lens off, hold the LCD upwards and perform the cleaning. So, I guess I would never have the opportunity to see the pretty green buddy.

My 40D is still going strong (i was the first guy in SA to get it from canon SA when it was released here).

I dont actually know how long ive had it now 0_o

Sofar when my sensor is gonna need cleaning, im rather going to take it in, because i have read about people that needed a repair after the manual cleaning :D

Most reactions

Back