Canon SLR lens problem. Please help!

nianmuzik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

This is my first post and it looks like I'm going to learn quite a lot in this forum. Thanks in advance to those who will help me solve my problems and improve my skills. :hail:

I would like to start sharing a problem that I have with my Canon SLR... I have the Canon EOS 350 Rebel XT and the EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens that came with the camera is giving me some grief...

If I want to take pictures between the 18mm and 24mm range, the camera gives me an error (error 99). The shutter simply doesn't "fire up". Anything beyond 24mm is fine and the camera takes the picture in any condition.

I have tried my lens on my friend's XTi and the lens works just fine. I have tried his lens on mine and it works just fine as well. This means that it is my lens on my camera that gives me a problem. :confused:

I have tried to clean the sensors and all and no luck so far :(

Anyone have a suggestion or an idea as to what may be going on?

Thanks again! :D

Giancarlo.

Sounds like dirty contacts. Try to use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on your lens and on the camera body. Lightly erase the contacts using caution on the body not to allow anything to fall inside.

Also try removing the battery and replacing it. It could also be the memory card. Try a different card.

Sorry I can't be helpful other than to say try your local camera shop. The guys we have in Rochester are really friendly and would probably fix your camera or show you what's wrong for minimal charges. Also you might want to try the "beginners place" portion of the forum for questions about cameras, this section is more for general photos. Link below, Welcome to the forum!

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Thanks for the replies,

I have already tried to clean the contacts with the pencil eraser as well as switching CF card and batteries but with no luck. Like I mentionned the lens worked fine on another camera and another lens worked fine on mine (I forgot to mention that the camera works perfectly fine with my EF 70-300mm f/4/5.6 IS USM lens). This makes me come to the conclusion that is the combination of my lens with my camera that causes the problem and I have absolutely no idea why...

Unfortunately I live in Ecuador and camera shops are hard to come by... I'm pretty much looking for a DIY solution if it exists...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back