Canon speedlite 430 EX II with Canon EOS T3i

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by truephotoga, Sep 16, 2011.

1. brush

brush TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    On camera flash triggers it, but does not contribute to the exposure. When you set up the flash settings in your camera you can choose for off camera only, or off camera with pop up flash. If you choose off camera only, the popup will just pulse a split second before the shutter opens to signal the 430. But that pulse has no impact on your exposure. I was worried about the line of sight thing, but so far haven't had any troubles with my 60D. Out of superstition I like to swivel it around so the censor is pointed in the direction of the camera...don't know if I have to or not but it seems to work when I do so I figure why not. :) It's my first off camera flash, but I'm lovin' it!

2. PhillOS

PhillOS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah i looked it up as well.. i bid thou my deepest apologies.. for saying UR RONG! :)

3. theericky

theericky TPF Noob!

I have rebel t3i and 430 ex. I can tell you this; it work great indoor. Because you will have flash bouncing off the wall which will still trigger the 430 flash. The only thing you need to be aware of is whether to use on camera flash which I meant wireless plus pop up flash or turn off pop up flash but still use pop up to trigger 430 flash.

The rest of forum is sound advice.

4. Postman158

Postman158 TPF Noob!

I love my 430 exII. Its been great for me, and I've learned a lot about light by purchasing it. I'd recommend the Speedliter's Handbook for some great information as well.

5. sprout44

sprout44 TPF Noob!

Hi there, since you are mentioning the speedlite 430ex11, i just purchased one for my 1000d , i have been trying it out in the house at night. I am little dissapointed as the shots are still very cool and blueish tone. I want really nice warm skin tones . I tried bounce and it was ok but i may want to just point it direct . Any tips on this flash would be great. As you can see i am a beginner.

6. jaicatalano

jaicatalano TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have that flash. It works great. The refresh time is ok. Not great but ok.

4 out of 5.

7. Tiberius47

Tiberius47 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have two of these flashes that I use for off camera work, triggered by a 580EX on a 40D and by the pop up flash on my new 7D. The 430 has been solid and dependable. Quite well featured too.

There's a tutorial in my signature on using Canon's wireless flash system.

8. pgriz

pgriz Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Flash color is designed to match that of daylight, so it would be blueish when compared to interior light which is usually tungsten. To bring the color of the flash closer to the color you want, you need a warming gel filter (CTO - color temperature orange) over the flash. Direct flash sends more light forward but being a small light-emitting surface, it gives a harsh look and strong hard shadows. You'll be happier in the longer term in learning how to use the flash off-camera, and using techniques such as bouncing off walls and ceilings to get better, diffused light that makes for softer images. So the tip I can give you is this: the flash by itself is fine, but to really get good results from it, you need to learn a lot of technique (and probably will also need to buy more stuff like modifiers).