Canon Speedlite 580 EX or Sigma EF 500 DG Super...? Pros and Cons?

Groupcaptainbonzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all !.

I have come to the time when I must bite the bullet and upgrade my now dying old Strobe. I have looked at the specs of the two leading options, but would like to hear from anyone who has experience of either / Both of these. What do I get for the extra money from the 580EX. That I won't from the MUCH cheaper EF 500 DG Super?. Is it just the CANON Badge. Or are there real benifits to either one..?

Thanks...
Tim H.

I own both :)
580 is built better and easier to use. There are small differences in both.

580 has a bit more power but the 500 Super is pretty powerful for a small strobe anyway.

Set High Speed mode on the Canon and it stays on. Set it with the Sigma and if you drop below the camera's sync speed and it goes off and you need to reset. Fine if you are an occassional user but if you need it, it's a pain resetting and therefore missing shots!!

I can use both in master/slave mode too which is handy if needed (although I don't do this much).

The Sigma is a nice unit but for me the 580 is much better in that it's so much easier to use.

If it's down to cash, get the Sigma if not, get the Canon.

That kind of answers everything, right down the line... Many thanks. I think my mind was made up already . But it's really nice to read something from someone who knows what they are talking about and actually says what you WANT to hear in the first place.
Thanks again..
Tim.

No worries Tim.

would just like to finish this off with .....

I took the advice from EOS JD (It was what I wanted to hear anyway). It arrived today and it is without a doubt the best bit of kit have come across in a very long while. I tried a friends Sigma 500. It is a fine strobe, and I had thought for a moment that I may have made the wrong choice. But I haven't This IS the Korean Meatballs (The Dogs B******s). Many thanks for the help.
Tim H.

Hi Tim
What one did you buy? The Sigma?

As I said the only real differences between the two are the 580 is easies to use, has a little more power and is built better.

there's not a lot in it for all that extra money. I've not used my Sigma for about a year so it me be time to sell it! I keep meaning to try using the two units together but I never got round to it.

Glad to be of help.

regards
Jim

Did you get the 580 EX II? The new version (II) is weather sealed :drool:

As far as I know it is NOT the Mk II. The box only says 580EX. But My old strobes (A Minolta Auto 320X and 360XP) have given stirling service for nearly 20 years now. As I have changed my camera (400D / Rebel XTi) I needed a new strobe. BOY OH BOY ! Has technology moved on in the last few years......
I had no idea how much better new strobes were (And to be honest I didn't think there was a lot wrong with the old ones...).

That's for sure. I had been using an older unit for several years with no problems...but my new Canon flash is amazing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back