canon speedlite - Technical specs?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want a flash and I probably wont get one for a few months, (cant afford yet), but I want to start doing my homework.

I have some questions that I cant really find anymore...

For ex: What is the red thing on the front of all flashes, EXCEPT the Speedlite 270EX???

Speedlite 580EX II vs Speedlite 430EX II

What are the major differences?

Is there some site that kinda of compares each flash? How do I know what flash is for me?

The red section you mention is the focus assist beam. If you ever get to hook one up to your camera, turn off all the lights and point it at a wall. Press your shutter release button to focus and you will see it.

As for the specs, check out this link. Pretty much all you will need to know is here.

If you don't have a flash now, save the extra money and get the 580 EX II first. It's worth it, you won't regret it. It's just a better build and much more flexible. :thumbup:

THe major differences between 580 and 430 are that the 580 is more powerful and can be used as a master and a slave flash. I have the 580 and love it, but I hear the 430 is nice too and is also smaller.

The red section you mention is the focus assist beam. If you ever get to hook one up to your camera, turn off all the lights and point it at a wall. Press your shutter release button to focus and you will see it.

As for the specs, check out this link. Pretty much all you will need to know is here.

Thanks for the link!

the 580 is also a weathersealed flash unit whlist I belive the 430 is not.

the 580 is also a weathersealed flash unit whlist I belive the 430 is not.
Im not 100% sure but I thought I read somewhere that the 580EX II is the *only* weather resistant flash. The 580EX isn't sealed.

you might very well be right there - and I should not have been lazy and put the M2 after 580 in my comment - good catch!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back