Canon SX50/SX520 manual focus

soufiej

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
While not exactly a "beginner" in photography, I am new to the current generation of compact cameras. (What an interesting marketing scheme of three dozen models from one manufacturer! Not "point and shoot" and not DSLR but rather a "compact" since the camera has the features and size of neither a PS nor a DSLR though much more like a PS than a real DSLR.)

I've recently acquired a SX50 after deciding the SX520 was probably not going to get me where I wanted to be with a "day to day, put it in the Fiat everyday, shoot when I see something interesting" camera. The 520 was, IMO, the least expensive camera which gave me some degree of "creative control" by way of Av, Tv and Manual modes. Both cameras also advertise they have manual focus capabilities. I know not to trust specs alone but to say either of these cameras have a useful manual focus would seem to be a stretch too far. This very basic, IMO, level of creativity simply does not seem to exist in the true PS category, even in P mode. After about a week with the 520, however, I was thinking I was far more likely to be breaking out the DSLR than I would be using the 520 if I really wanted some slightly better than average results on even a day to day basis. (I'm fine with the small sensor in these cameras and understand the improvements which could be had with the DSLR. I just don't want to carry the larger and more expensive package of body and lenses and filters, etc, etc with me all the time. I live in a fairly big city and I'm not keen on constantly advertising I have a lot of camera gear which could belong to someone else with a few unkind words or deeds. The cost of the SX50 is, IMO, the limit for what might publicly be lifted from my possession at any time. Add in the single lens of decent quality and the compact camera(s) appeared to be the best solution.)

Finding refurbished/open box SX50's for only a few dollars above what I paid for the 520, I took advantage of what seems to be a far better camera (newer and improved processing system, RAW formatting, hot shoe, EVF, lower ISO setting, etc) for not much more cost.

Now, to my question regarding manual focus on the SX50.

The LCD screen on the SX520 was not sufficiently detailed to make manual focus even remotely useful on the 520. And, really, neither the LCD nor the (more desirable) EVF on the SX50 seem to have enough resolution to allow for really tweaking the focus to my personal preference. It seems as though using "manual focus" on the SX50 camera is more for the advantage of the camera than the user. The owner's manual for the SX50 states, "When focusing is not possible in AF mode, use manual focus. You can specify the general focal position and then press the shutter button half way to have the camera determine the optimal focal position NEAR the position you specified". As stated in the manual's next instruction, the camera will then "fine tune" the focal position via its "Safety MF" system. (Same system for the SX520.)

This, plus the relative inaccuracies of the less than high fidelity viewfinders, leads me to believe these cameras (SX520 and SX50) will not allow manual focus on, say, the deepest portion of a flower's stamen. It may also be fooled by the background items when I'm trying to focus on the wildlife (getting sharp focus on, for example, an eye) which is sitting surrounded by the background. I have a great zoom capability with the SX50 but it does me little to no good if the camera will decide where to focus. No? The camera will use its "safety" system to focus where I may not want it to focus.

My questions, therefore are three fold:

1) Is there a way to use the (rather meager capabilities of the ) LCD or the viewfinder to reliably use manual focus techniques? (The control for MF doesn't seem to allow truly fine adjustments but rather just get the lens in the gross, general area where the camera can take over.)

2) Is there a way to override the "Safety MF" function should I get the camera focused where I want and not where it will inevitable go?

3) Have I simply hit the wall on the abilities of what is still, more or less, a PS camera? My preference is to stay with Canon so suggestions of other manufacturers will be considered but aren't very likely to be acted upon in the near future.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:
I have used SX50 for quite a while, and consider it a great camera for the amazing reach it provides in budget. But if you're planning to shoot wildlife with the MF in sx50, I've got bad news for you.
The good news is that I'm fairly certain that you can control the manual focus..umm..manually! I've done it plenty of time for static objects by switching to the manual focus mode and then using the command dial to change the focus. It's a long and tiring process, you have to rotate the dial many times to get the focus from one end to the other but it's possible.

Surprisingly, I never found the LCD/Viewfinder to be a problem until the day I started using a DSLR. I was actually considering getting the SX60 by selling the sx50, it's an even greater camera from what I've seen so far! But the truth is that I hardly ever use it anymore since the day I've went the slr way.

I have used SX50 for quite a while, and consider it a great camera for the amazing reach it provides in budget. But if you're planning to shoot wildlife with the MF in sx50, I've got bad news for you.
The good news is that I'm fairly certain that you can control the manual focus..umm..manually! I've done it plenty of time for static objects by switching to the manual focus mode and then using the command dial to change the focus. It's a long and tiring process, you have to rotate the dial many times to get the focus from one end to the other but it's possible.

Surprisingly, I never found the LCD/Viewfinder to be a problem until the day I started using a DSLR. I was actually considering getting the SX60 by selling the sx50, it's an even greater camera from what I've seen so far! But the truth is that I hardly ever use it anymore since the day I've went the slr way.

First, your animal shots are quite nice. Good work!

However, I don't think I understand your response. I'm aware of the limitations of the rather slow lens speed and the size of the sensor in the SX50. I use a tripod when necessary so the lens speed may not be a significant issue, we'll see as I work more with the SX50. With fixed objects the ISO of 80 should help somewhat IMO. The processing in the SX50 does seem to give images a better overall look that what I can see from the SX520's system. Not DSLR quality, but a step in the right direction.

There are a few advantages to the SX50 though, even over my DSLR. As many reviews have pointed out, to have a zoom capability along with image stabilization in a camera costing 1/10th of what a single lens with the same capacity would set me back makes the SX50 a rather attractive - if not ideal - alternative at times. No, I don't expect to achieve the same results as I could with my "big rig". But neither can I easily afford that lens for my DSLR. It's a trade off that I'm willing to accept in certain situations. Same with the macro shots. This for that and what I get is what I will accept. As long as the camera doesn't fight me along the way.

Regarding the question of manual focus, it sounds as though you didn't actually have true manual focus at the time you clicked the shutter but rather, as the owner's manual states, the camera fine tuned what you "aimed at" prior to the shutter action. It doesn't sound as though you actually defeated the "Safety MF" system. Therefore, you didn't see higher quality results until you began using a DSLR which allowed for more precise control.

Would that be right?

Most reactions

Back