Canon T3i vs Nikon D3200

Trout_Slayer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all! First post here and I wanted to ask what you guys thought about 2 different DSLRs I'm looking at. This would be my first DSLR and I've done a lot of fo research into what I think would be best. l I'm just wondering what you guys think is the better deal, first one is a Nikon d3200 with an 18-55 kit lens and also a Nikon 75-200mm lens for $100, and the second option is a canon t3i with an 18-55 and a 75-300mm lens for $250. I mostly photograph mountains, landscape stuff, cars, and my mountain bike! I'm also open if anyone has any suggestions on cameras they think would be better, my budget has a hard cap at 250 and that's even a little high in my opinion!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome, I see that you have done your research they are both decent cameras...

Honestly, both will work.

Since I am a Nikon guy, I would be partial to the D3200.
But a Canon guy would be partial to the T3i.

As for your budget.
You get what you can, and enjoy taking pictures.
If you want to, you can get more later.

For the Canon, "if possible," you WANT the 18-55 IS. Canon also made a NON-stabilized version of the lens.
Nikon has a stabilized lens, 18-55 VR. VR = Vibration Reduction
Stabilization is of value in shooting a LOW shutter speeds, and helping to compensate for YOUR movement, to allow you to shoot at slower shutter speeds than with a non-stabilized lens.
Let's say I could normally shoot at 1/60 sec, without shaking. With a stabilized lens, maybe I can get down to 1/15 sec.
But if you can't get a stabilized lens, it isn't the end of the world. I shot for MANY years WITHOUT a stabilized lens.

Similar for the long lens.
Although I doubt the long lens is stabilized. Both Canon and Nikon put NON-stabilized long lenses into their kits, to reduce the cost of the kit.
Unfortunately, IMHO, it is the long lens that needs stabilization more than the short lens.

Caution, a stabilized lens ONLY compensates for YOUR movement. It does NOTHING for a moving subject.

CAUTION on Nikon and lenses
Nikon has changed their lenses several times over the years. The "mount" is the same, but the communication between the camera and lens is what has changed.
You NEED to make sure that the lens you get, WILL work on the camera.
Only the AF-S lens will work on the D3200.
Example1. The early AF series lenses will NOT autofocus on the D3200.
Example2. I doubt that the AF-P lenses will work on the D3200.

Both are good cameras. In my opinion, the Nikon 24 mp sensor in the D3200 is the best of that generation. The Canon T3i has a smaller 18 mp sensor, although it is still very good. If you are getting the Nikon D3200 with two lenses for $100 bucks, that seems too good to be true. Is the seller reputable? If they have comparable shutter counts with no issues, the Nikon would be my choice.

Honestly, both will work.

Since I am a Nikon guy, I would be partial to the D3200.
But a Canon guy would be partial to the T3i.

As for your budget.
You get what you can, and enjoy taking pictures.
If you want to, you can get more later.

For the Canon, "if possible," you WANT the 18-55 IS. Canon also made a NON-stabilized version of the lens.
Nikon has a stabilized lens, 18-55 VR. VR = Vibration Reduction
Stabilization is of value in shooting a LOW shutter speeds, and helping to compensate for YOUR movement, to allow you to shoot at slower shutter speeds than with a non-stabilized lens.
Let's say I could normally shoot at 1/60 sec, without shaking. With a stabilized lens, maybe I can get down to 1/15 sec.
But if you can't get a stabilized lens, it isn't the end of the world. I shot for MANY years WITHOUT a stabilized lens.

Similar for the long lens.
Although I doubt the long lens is stabilized. Both Canon and Nikon put NON-stabilized long lenses into their kits, to reduce the cost of the kit.
Unfortunately, IMHO, it is the long lens that needs stabilization more than the short lens.

Caution, a stabilized lens ONLY compensates for YOUR movement. It does NOTHING for a moving subject.

CAUTION on Nikon and lenses
Nikon has changed their lenses several times over the years. The "mount" is the same, but the communication between the camera and lens is what has changed.
You NEED to make sure that the lens you get, WILL work on the camera.
Only the AF-S lens will work on the D3200.
Example1. The early AF series lenses will NOT autofocus on the D3200.
Example2. I doubt that the AF-P lenses will work on the D3200.
Awesome! thank you for the advice!!

Both are good cameras. In my opinion, the Nikon 24 mp sensor in the D3200 is the best of that generation. The Canon T3i has a smaller 18 mp sensor, although it is still very good. If you are getting the Nikon D3200 with two lenses for $100 bucks, that seems too good to be true. Is the seller reputable? If they have comparable shutter counts with no issues, the Nikon would be my choice.
Im buying off of facebook marketplace and the seller has very good reviews, id obviously want to check the shuttercount and such before making a purchase

Most reactions

Back