canon to nikon adaptors... is this a thing?

wyogirl

Oh crop!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok guys.... I have a Canon Rebel. I've been doing some soul searching and I'm considering the idea of jumping ship if I can make my glass work. I've googled, but I can't find a definitive answer.

I have mostly 3rd party glass.... Tamron and Tokina with a few Canon lenses. I know that adapters are available, but do they work on 3rd party glass? Do they actually work....like all of the functions work?

Could I switch to say a Nikon d7100 and still use the glass I have?

ok guys.... I have a Canon Rebel. I've been doing some soul searching and I'm considering the idea of jumping ship if I can make my glass work. I've googled, but I can't find a definitive answer.

I have mostly 3rd party glass.... Tamron and Tokina with a few Canon lenses. I know that adapters are available, but do they work on 3rd party glass? Do they actually work....like all of the functions work?

The short answer is no. The two systems use a different mounting system, and without going into a level of detail that would probably cause you to run screaming from the room sadly you won't be able to use your canon glass on a Nikon body.

So you'd have to sell your Canon lenses and replace them with Nikon equivalents.

boo. That is what I figured. I'm too invested in glass to switch then.

That's always the problem with switching systems, the camera body itself isn't so bad but when you start looking at selling off your old glass and buying replacements, it gets to be a bit of a hassle especially if you have a lot of lenses.

Jumping ship became legal a few years back, but interracial integration miscegenation type stuff you speak of betwixt Canon & Nikon, could be dangerous.... Unless you live in Southern California where most anything goes. Let me know if it works, heck I'd do it. I'm kind of a risk taker; went zip lining once.:Clown:

Each company has their own propietary undocumented lens mount.

Thats how they manage to keep you in their system, once you acquired enough glas and it turns into a hassle to switch.

The only exceptions for digital are Micro Four Third (also the previous, now dead, Four Third standard). Both Olympus and Panasonic are offering bodies for that one.

What lenses do you have ?

normally, if you sell a used lens you can get another used lens equivalent for about the same price. Add to that with Nikon you can get less expensive pro glass AF-D type lenses too instead of the more expensive built in focus motor of the Canon and Nikon AF-S lenses.

I've seen ppl here want to jump ship but go from f/4 to f/2.8 zooms and complain of the cost.
So 1 - for - 1 you could sell and buy used and switch brands from what I've seen.

Each company has their own propietary undocumented lens mount.
Nikon and Canon lens mounts are pretty easy to figure out.
Some relatively simple measuring tools, mechanical and electronic, make short work of discovering all one needs to know about either mount.

AF-D lenses are not always less expensive than AF-S lenses that have a focus motor in the lens. The additional cost of some AF-S lenses is because of VR, better optics, and a wider maximum lens aperture, not the AF motor in the lens.

An professional grade AF-D lens will usually cost considerably more than a consumer grade AF-S lens having the same focal length, zoom or prime.

Send all your lenses to me, and I'll check them out for you. I have a pretty long processing time, so you should probably just go buy new Nikon gear while you wait.

That's always the problem with switching systems, the camera body itself isn't so bad but when you start looking at selling off your old glass and buying replacements, it gets to be a bit of a hassle especially if you have a lot of lenses.

thats why ive never switched teams...
too much invested in my initial choice.

Most AF-D lenses are old, and often used, and so are available at reasonably good prices on the used market. Nikon, unlike Canon, has been making reduced image circle lenses for a decade or so, and those lenses will ALL fit onto both crop-body and full-frame Nikon d-slrs. If you have Canon EF-S lenses....those lenses are utterly USELESS on any Canon full-frame body...so...basically, Canon users who bought EF-S lenses have useless optics if they want to migrate to Canon full-frame cameras. There are some expensive AF-D lenses, like the 105mm f/2 and 135mm f/2 AF-D Defocus Control Nikkors--but there are also six dozen or more inexpensive AF and AF-D Nikkor zoom models available on the used market, like say the very capable full-frame utility zoom, the 28-105mm AF-D Nikkor zoom, or the plentiful former pro zoom, the 35-70mm f/2.8 AF or AF-D Nikkor.

A person really does not "need" all that many lenses; a wide-angle prime or zoom; a telephoto zoom; maybe a macro lens if one wants to do a lot of close-up or macro work; possibly a 50mm normal prime lens. Some people can get by with just one,l single utility zoom lens, especially on a new-generation Nikon with an incredible sensor, which allows the use of high ISO values, like 1600 to 3200, with pretty good image quality when using the typical f/3.5~5.6 or f/4.5~5.6 zoom lenses that fall into the light, affordable price bracket.

Canon to Nikon adapters: I don't know of any. Canon has used an electrically-actuated lens diaphragm for apprx. 25 years in the EOS system's EF and EF-S mounts, so an adapter would need to have electrical contacts and a CPU in order to actuate the lens aperture, so...adapting Canon EOS system lenses to Nikon would require a fairly costly, sophisticated adapter.

It is easier to use a Nikon lens on EOS body then using a Canon lens on Nikon camera due to the difference in Flange focal distance between Canon EF mount (44.00 mm) and Nikon F mount (46.50 mm).

Since the F mount is longer, so it is easier to add an adapter for Canon camera. However, an adapter may need additional optics when mounting a Canon lens on Nikon camera.

And this is one of the reason those mirrorless camera can use many lenses out there with an adapter because their Flange focal distance is very short. (i.e. m4/3 19.25 mm)

Ref: Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All of my lenses except for the kit lens is EF. But....I think it will be too much of a hassle. Maybe one day when I win the lottery.... lol.

All of my lenses except for the kit lens is EF. But....I think it will be too much of a hassle. Maybe one day when I win the lottery.... lol.
By then Canon will have a camera that would make you not want to switch....from the history I see mentioned here all the time. Have you thought about 1Dx or is that a possible lotto item too? :)

Last edited:

Yup... it's a bit of work to sell all that stuff off and replace it. The only other option is to try to sell it all as a kit, but that can be a little tougher to find a buyer.

Most reactions

Back