Canon Users - Who cfn 3's?

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Custom Function 4. Anyone here change it? I tested it out last weekend at the race track while practicing my panning and I don't think I'm going to change back.

It allows you to change which button AF's. Right now I have AF on the thumb button. I believe it's the one with the "-" magnifying glass. That and AI Servo let me lock focus and meter seperately if I want. The half press of the shutter no longer AF's, it just meters. It allows you to focus and meter serperatly without having the camera focus everything you press the shutter half way down.

Custom Function 3. Anyone here change it? I tested it out last weekend at the race track while practicing my panning and I don't think I'm going to change back.

It allows you to change which button AF's. Right now I have AF on the thumb button. I believe it's the one with the "-" magnifying glass. That and AI Servo let me lock focus and meter seperately if I want. The half press of the shutter no longer AF's, it just meters. It allows you to focus and meter serperatly without having the camera focus everything you press the shutter half way down.

Yep, I do the same thing :)

Were you at Summit Point?

Isn't that Custom Function #4? (CF.3 on my Canon is 'Flash sync speed in Av mode).

And yes, I made the switch to thumb activated AF, long ago..and haven't looked back.

Rookie question but whats thi differance between that and pressing the shutter release half way down?

Summit is a fun track to drive or shoot. Was it a NASA event you were shooting?

If so I'd be curious if you got any shots of my brother's Spec Miata :D

Summit is a fun track to drive or shoot. Was it a NASA event you were shooting?

If so I'd be curious if you got any shots of my brother's Spec Miata :D

It was Sunday for the NESBA track day. I do bikes mainly.

Rookie question but whats thi differance between that and pressing the shutter release half way down?

You can focus on something, adjust your framing, meter on something else by chaning the af point, then take the picture without having to change the af point back because the camera wants to af when you press the shutter half way down. Plus you can leave AI Servo on 100% of the time and take pictures. AI servo AF constantly focuses, so you use the thumb button until your subject is in focus, then you can take the picture. Some people don't like it, but it's a matter of convenience.

Yes, the advantage is that you can choose when to activate AF and when to deactivate (lock) the focus.

Obviously, you have to press the shutter release button to take a photo...so if your AF is tied to that, you are activating the AF every time you take a photo.

Of course, you can focus on something and lock the focus (one shot mode), or you can physically turn off the AF at the lens...but many people find it more convenient to use the * button with their thumb.

As mentioned, you can leave the focus mode in Servo, so that you can take advantage of that, but then deactivate it by letting go of the * button.

Where do you put the normal function of "*"? Isn't that the one used by flash to measure?

Can I program that to use the "printer button"? That is a waste of space to me.

Yes...I think you do loose the Flash exposure lock...but I never used that anyway.

I think I have the shutter button half-press set to exposure lock, so if I need to meter off of something & lock the exposure, I use the shutter button.

Can I program that to use the "printer button"? That is a waste of space to me.
I know...I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using those buttons. An absolute waste. There could be so many better uses...like Mirror Lock up, for example.

I'm waiting for the day when all the buttons and dials are customizable. The newer cameras already have custom settings on the mode dial and a customizable 'My Menu' in the menu list...so hopfully we aren't far away. It's just a matter of firmware.

Most reactions

Back