Canon vs Nikon vs Hasselblad... Is there really a difference?

julesoille

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there everyone. I am a Toronto Product Photographer. I am always working to enhance the quality of my product shots.
I currently like to use a D800, 105mm macro, I grey card, light meter, adjust levels, etc

Can we honestly say that one camera manufacturer is decisively better than another these days?

Love to hear your thought

$Purse w Brick Wall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference between Canon and Nikon would be negligible and likely only a case of either nit-picking at minor differences or interface wise with the camera operation.

Hasselblad is a different ballgame because those cameras are recording to a much larger sensor/film size. They'd be overkill for most web-displays but you might find them superior for large scale print displays - however at the cost for such a system you really need to have a good reason to get one, as Canon and Nikon high end fullframe bodies can still reproduce large scale prints.

In this field of photography the biggest element is the lighting; the control, angle, modification etc.. of the light is critical and will have the greatest effect on the quality you get. That is the same no matter what camera setup you use to photograph.

The difference between Canon and Nikon would be negligible and likely only a case of either nit-picking at minor differences or interface wise with the camera operation.

Hasselblad is a different ballgame because those cameras are recording to a much larger sensor/film size. They'd be overkill for most web-displays but you might find them superior for large scale print displays - however at the cost for such a system you really need to have a good reason to get one, as Canon and Nikon high end fullframe bodies can still reproduce large scale prints.

In this field of photography the biggest element is the lighting; the control, angle, modification etc.. of the light is critical and will have the greatest effect on the quality you get. That is the same no matter what camera setup you use to photograph.

The guy is just promoting his business... The only thing his post is lacking is the price list... So Nikon vs Canon you said? :D

Is there a difference between Nikon vs Canon vs Blad? The answer is YES.

The bottom line is - you cannot look at a photo and tell what brand camera was used to make the photo.

As mentioned by Overread, the differences that matter are more about camera function, features, and capabilities.

Being medium format Hasselblad can't really be compared to the small format cameras (35 mm, APS-C) made by Canon and Nikon.

Here are some significant function/features differences between Nikon and Canon DSLRs being offered today.

• All Nikon DSLRs have color aware light metering sensors. Only some of Canon's DSLR cameras have color aware light metering sensors.
• All but the most basic Nikon entry-level DSLRs have a built-in intervalometer. None of Canon's DSLRs have an intervalometer function.
• All but the most basic Nikon entry-level DSLRs have a built-in off camera flash unit control system. Only some of Canon's DSLR cameras have a built-in off camera flash unit control system.
• When using Spot metering mode, all Nikon DSLR's lock the spot being metered to the selected auto focus point. In all except their flagship professional DSLR Spot metering mode is only done at the center of the viewfinder and cannot be moved.

• All but the most basic Nikon entry-level DSLRs have a built-in off camera flash unit control system. Only some of Canon's DSLR cameras have a built-in off camera flash unit control system.

Don't forget that the remote control via built in camera is flash pulse based so the flash units have to be able to "see" each other clearly or at least see the light pulses - this can sometimes fail (esp in bright light like outside). Canon does now have a range of flash units which have radio controls built in (which voids the need for a separate setup like pocket wizard).

Well. The rule is called "diminishing returns".

Meaning: getting even more is certainly possible - but it will cost ya.

Or in other words - a Nikon D3300 might be twenty times as cheap as a Nikon D4s - but the D4s isnt twenty times as good. In fact, it has less Megapixels, less Dynamic Range at ISO 100 ... or at least DxOMark claimed so, if I remember correctly. So in some respects, the D3300 is actually better. Its certainly better when it comes to size and weight, too.

For example I remember reading on the net about a swiss photographer who got himself a 8x10 (or approx 200x250mm for us metric thinkers) digital sensor - taylor built. He could afford it because on the long run, it wasnt more expensive than the film he needed to buy for his camera. Which, unsurprisingly, is quite expensive for 8x10 large format.

Of course you also lose a lot with cameras like a Hassleblad, or even worse such a taylor built sensor. A Canikon camera has a TON of glas available and it has a lot of conveniences which are either completely absent or much less accessible on a Hassleblad, and certainly completely gone on the taylor built sensor.

So yeah, Hassleblad can give you a camera that can manage 200 Megapixels. But it will cost A LOT.

Canon currently has no 36 Megapixel offer, so sadly they cannot compete with Nikon when it comes to high resolutions.

Hi there everyone. I am a Toronto Product Photographer. I am always working to enhance the quality of my product shots.
I currently like to use a D800, 105mm macro, I grey card, light meter, adjust levels, etc

Can we honestly say that one camera manufacturer is decisively better than another these days?

Love to hear your thought

Under controlled conditions where you pretty much remove every variable that really matters, no - not much difference between the end results. Under more real world conditions where lighting is widely varied, you may be needing to crop photo's heavily, shooting at moving targets, etc, etc.. then yes, there are notable differences.

Not really fair that you say I am promoting the business. I wanted to provide a few sample images as context.

The Sony A7 produces files as good if not better than the D800 the Hasleblad will blow them both out of the water for product photography

I've played with a Hasselblad. The user interface is eye wateringly bad. The slight increase in image quality is tempered by the really high price and horrific user experience. My partner uses a film 4x5 view camera. Holy $&@$ do the transparencies look amazing under a loupe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back