Canon Wide Angle Lens

CanadianMe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been looking to get a wide angle lens finding at times my widest just is not wide enough, does anyone have this lens? And if so what do you think of it? It is also on sale at one camera shop I deal with. CanonEF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Wide Angle Zoom.

If money is an issue, it might also be worth considering the Sigma 10-20. I've certainly heard much praise for it.

I own the Canon 10-22mm and think it's a great lens. I shot with the Sigma and thought it felt cheap. The AF wasn't too keen either. The Tokina 12-24 is a good lens and much cheaper - if you don't mind going up to 12mm. I really wanted the 10mm and the Canon was worth the extra money to me.

i have the tokina 12-24, i would reccommend it. very sturdy feel. af is good. it depends what you want to spend, but it definitely should be between tokina and canon

I've got the Canon 10-22mm, fantastic lens. Check the link in my sig, many of my mountain shots were taken with that lens.

I've also been hearing good things about the 10-20mm Sigma and the 12-24mm Tokina. Keep in mind that 10mm is significantly wider than 12mm (20%).

Thanks for the input, not interested in the 12mm but thanks anyway, would prefer that 20%. Someone else I talked also mentioned the Sigma, will have a look but more keen on the Canon. I need a wide angle, after a week of shooting it is the last lens I will need for a long time, but I do need it. Seen what I have been shooting, and a few times missed out on what I thought would have been good photos but none of my lenses are wide enough and could not get any further back to get a wider photo with what I currently own. The 10mm is just more in sync with what I would prefer.

After doing some reading and looking around I may be able to get the Sigma a few months old for just over $400.00 with warranty and papers. Found two so far and will see if I can find a Canon one used. Just at this point trying to cut down costs. I need it but not all the time and for the amount of money will look at all options, thanks again.

I too am an owner of the Canon 10-22 and love it. IMO it is L quality glass with a close to L quality build. I don't believe that Canon will ever give an EF-S lens an L designation but it has been one outstanding performer for me.

If you go for that lens, just remember it's not entirely future-proof if you upgrade to a full-frame sensor in the future. The EF-S lenses are designed for Canon's APS-C 1.6x crop sensors and will give you significant vignette on a full-frame.

I have done a lot of reading and comparisons on both, talked to the Camera Store today and they will lend me each one for an hour to test out with my own camera. Will give me a better idea of fit, feel and once I get home and look at the photos on my computer a look at what quality of photos I get from each. I know the Canon lens is for a 1.6x Camera. I really don't plan on changing to anything else for a while, just got the camera and should I ever upgrade I would sell the lens with the camera. Just at this point it may come down to dollars, just bought all new equipment and I spent enough already but if the quality is noticeable enough may pay the higher price. Still up in the air, the camera store said we could work out a deal on either and they would make it worth my while to buy new, so we shall see. I will be going Thursday and then I will compare and think about the choice. Thanks again for all the feedback.

I have done a lot of reading and comparisons on both, talked to the Camera Store today and they will lend me each one for an hour to test out with my own camera. Will give me a better idea of fit, feel and once I get home and look at the photos on my computer a look at what quality of photos I get from each. I know the Canon lens is for a 1.6x Camera. I really don't plan on changing to anything else for a while, just got the camera and should I ever upgrade I would sell the lens with the camera. Just at this point it may come down to dollars, just bought all new equipment and I spent enough already but if the quality is noticeable enough may pay the higher price. Still up in the air, the camera store said we could work out a deal on either and they would make it worth my while to buy new, so we shall see. I will be going Thursday and then I will compare and think about the choice. Thanks again for all the feedback.

I would advise taking the tripod and taking the exact same shot with both lenses atleast once. I assume you would likely only get one at a time so your best bet is to do that right out side the door where the shop clerk can literally watch you and exchange the lens when you go back to exchange them and then continue along on your merry way. Never the less the best way to compare glass is with two (or more) nearly identical images.

Canon 10-22mm is my most favourite lens out of all of mine. Like someone else said it is like an L lens. It is superb.

Thanks great idea with the tripod, would have been a good idea last time I compared lenses. The last time I just left my drivers license with them and they let me take out two to compare. They seem reasonable when I want to try out items, I spend enough money with them and they know me very well by now. They lend me their rentals so they are not new lenses which is ok with me, get to see them and use them with some wear and tear.

Thanks great idea with the tripod, would have been a good idea last time I compared lenses. The last time I just left my drivers license with them and they let me take out two to compare. They seem reasonable when I want to try out items, I spend enough money with them and they know me very well by now. They lend me their rentals so they are not new lenses which is ok with me, get to see them and use them with some wear and tear.

Ah, cool, when giving advice like that I find it's usually a safe bet to assume to the side of not yet developed trust with sales people. Having the trust to take more than one out at a time will only make the repeted shot comparison that much easier. As for the tripod idea it is simple logic...simple to the point of commonly overlooked so I throw it out there when ever it will proove useful :D

When something is commonly overlooked I can usually be counted amongst those who will do the overlooking lol.

Well made a choice, went with the Sigma 10-20mm. I took a series of photos, did side by side comparisons, looked at the photos very closely with the loop tool also. I am shocked at how poorly the Canon lens is built, felt like cheap plastic. I Found the Sigma lens new for $540, and the photos showed the same result. I had thought Canon for sure, but once I picked it up, had a good look at the construction, I would never pay that money for such a poorly constructed lens. I am just speechless over that quality. I would never purchase that lens. I am glad those who own love it, just for the money Sigma has as good as IQ and much better build and for the price the Sigma was a slam dunk. The Canon is a 3.5 and goes to 22mm opposed to the Sigma 4.0 and 20mm. Even then the Sigma comes out the better lens in my opinion. The Canon may have L quality glass but what is holding that glass in place is cheap and flimsy.

Edit: IF the lens had the L lens housing it would have been a no brainer, I am just surprised at that cost and Canons reputation I was not expecting plastic housing, Plastic??? If the come out with an L series wide angle I would be the first to try and get one, but until the housing issue is resolved I cannot justify that cost for a lens in now way is twice as good as the Sigma and at best maybe a slightly better IQ from what I have read and not from what I have seen, I am new and not a pro so take this review as such.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back