Canon XS Metering Modes??

Thank you, I will read more in depth into that, do you guys use a gray card at all for your meter reads?

I do. I find it very helpful not only for metering, but for white balance as well.

I don't use it every time, but if my subject is darkly (or brightly) colored, it really helps to nail the exposure the first time.

EDIT
If you're going to be shooting a lot of landscapes - green grass is good to meter off of too. That's like the color version of a grey card (if that makes sense).

I read Understanding Exposure, and he suggested using the green in a landscape shot and set it to -2/3 exposure, just curious if thats what you guys use as well?

I do, but I don't set it to -2/3 - I just go with it as is.

In bright sun, you might need to compensate a little.

Just try to meter off of a patch of grass that has the same light falling on it as the rest of the scene.

(Don't meter on a shady patch if almost the whole scene is in direct sunlight.)

Last edited:
ok, just curious...when is it a good time to set the exposure to -2/3? In the book Peterson says -2/3 is a good go-to for all green dominated shots?

I guess it all depends on what kind of results your meter is giving you.

Personally, I don't really use exposure compensation on anything... Maybe I'm just lucky and my meter is always right.

If you find that you're getting underexposed shots when your meter is telling you that it should be good, set the exposure compensation to the positive side. If you're getting overexposed shots, set it to the negative side.

It's probably because foliage is more reflective than a grey card, so it should be reflecting more light back. I've never noticed it causing any problems though.

For now, just leave it alone. Once you get them on the computer (I don't think I would judge them by looking at the small LCD), if they look too bright try setting your exposure compensation to -2/3.

Most reactions

Back