Canon XT/XTi kit lens?

dkode

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am getting into the DSLR market and am probably going to end up going with the XT. I have a basic understanding of fixed lens vs. zoom lens but thats about it.

My question is if I get a XT ($400 on Amazon), is it worth it to pay an extra $60 and get the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens or go with a fixed focal lens like the 50mm f/1.8 lens that has great reviews, is only $70 but is made out of plastic.

Either way the price difference is only $10 so its really not a price thing. I just want to make sure that when I purchase a camera I am happy with my first set of lens before getting a $400 lens setup.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I am getting into the DSLR market and am probably going to end up going with the XT. I have a basic understanding of fixed lens vs. zoom lens but thats about it.

My question is if I get a XT ($400 on Amazon), is it worth it to pay an extra $60 and get the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens or go with a fixed focal lens like the 50mm f/1.8 lens that has great reviews, is only $70 but is made out of plastic.

Either way the price difference is only $10 so its really not a price thing. I just want to make sure that when I purchase a camera I am happy with my first set of lens before getting a $400 lens setup.

Thanks!
The 50 is a good lens, but I don't know if you would want it as your only lens. Might be a little long with the 1.6x crop factor.

Oh, and just so you know, $400 isn't really an expensive lens setup.. Just so you know what you are getting into. :)

the 50mm f1.8 is a very good lens. i have that one myself.it's very sharp. excellent colors.
i don't think i would want that as my first and/or only lens.

honestly, i would go with the kit lens to start. you can always add the 50mm later.

dkode,

I have used the EF-S 18-55mm. It doesn't make headlines, but it is a $60 lens, so don't expect miracles: good lenses often cost more than ten times that! I wouldn't even consider it if it weren't part of a kit, but WITH the kit it's so cheap that it doesn't make sense saving the extra $60, especially if you don't have anything else to shoot with. If nothing else, it will keep you busy shooting for the few weeks until you learn how to use your camera and pay down your credit card enough to be able to get the $400+ lens you are talking about :)

The 50mm lens might be the best lens in the world, but it is not an all-around one. In the long run it might be the better choice, but right now you need an all-around lens and you are better off with the 18-55mm one.

That's my opinion at least.

P.S. The 18-55 is plastic too. The only thing NOT plastic on it is the mount.

thanks for the info guys. so the 50mm is more of a specialized lens with an extremely large aperture at f/1.8 (is that correct?)

i figured the kit lens would be a good all around lens to start with.

now the next question, is there that much of a difference between the XT at 8MP and the XTi at 10.1MP besides the resolution? I really dont plan on creating posters so the 2mp difference isnt that big of a deal. the price difference on amazon is almost $200 which would determine if I get it now or a month or so in the future.

thanks again guys!

Nope, not much difference. The 8mp XT gets a little less noise the 10mp XTi too, so I've heard.

Pretty much the only thing megapixels stand for is image size, NOT image quality. (that's determined by the sensor and the lens)

thanks for the info guys. so the 50mm is more of a specialized lens with an extremely large aperture at f/1.8 (is that correct?)

i figured the kit lens would be a good all around lens to start with.

now the next question, is there that much of a difference between the XT at 8MP and the XTi at 10.1MP besides the resolution? I really dont plan on creating posters so the 2mp difference isnt that big of a deal. the price difference on amazon is almost $200 which would determine if I get it now or a month or so in the future.

thanks again guys!

correct about the 50mm being more specialized.....actually not really an all around type of lens. i mainly use mine for portraits or still life.

not really much difference between xt and xti except 2mp and $200. you will be happy with the xt and you can spend the extra $200 you saved on another lens.

Most reactions

Back