Canon XTi "P" screen?

XrayGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't really know how to describe this screen or what it is for, but often when I replace my CF card or even when I just turn my camera off, it goes to this screen and the battery meter shows 1 bar even if the batteries (I use the grip attachment) are fully charged. If I catch it right away, I can take the batteries out of the grip and replace them and then the screen goes away. I also noticed that I will get the screen if the little red light for the CF does not flash when replacing the card. So far, the only way I have found to get rid of the screen when it comes up is to take the batteries out...the camera is actually switched to OFF when it comes up and switching it on or to different modes does nothing. What is this screen and what can I do to avoid getting it??

IMG_0822.jpg

I just tried it without the grip and YES it happened again...

Anybody?? Someone has to have had this screen pop up before.

Well it looks like the screen for program mode - but it should not be appearing when you say it is. It sounds to me like you've either got a software problem or a hardware fault in the camera. You can reinstall the firmwire into the camera (check manual and camera website for details) and if its something that has quirked in the software that should correct it without any fuss. Otherwise you've got some hardware fault in the camera itself and the only way to get that fixed is to send it in for a checkup and repair quote.

Well it looks like the screen for program mode - but it should not be appearing when you say it is. It sounds to me like you've either got a software problem or a hardware fault in the camera. You can reinstall the firmwire into the camera (check manual and camera website for details) and if its something that has quirked in the software that should correct it without any fuss. Otherwise you've got some hardware fault in the camera itself and the only way to get that fixed is to send it in for a checkup and repair quote.

If I try the firmware update and it doesn't go right, would it make my camera unfunctional kind of like trying to flash the bios on a motherboard?

Nevermind...I just went to the Canon site to see the firmware upgrade and the date of it is a year before I got my camera, so I am sure my camera already has the most recent firmware

If I try the firmware update and it doesn't go right, would it make my camera unfunctional kind of like trying to flash the bios on a motherboard?

It's impossible to say and will depend on the nature of the actual error you have. If its purely some corruption on the firmwire that you already have installed then reinstalling the firmwire should work perfectly and restore your camera to working order.

If however the error is linked to a hardware fault then replacing the firmwire might have no effect at all on the error or it might lead to the camera being unusable.

Nevermind...I just went to the Canon site to see the firmware upgrade and the date of it is a year before I got my camera, so I am sure my camera already has the most recent firmware

Re install it, like how you fix Windows 98.

+1 to what Bitter said. You're not updating your firmwire you're replacing it from the start to try and fix a possibly software related problem.

Most reactions

Back