Unimaxium

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Northeastern University, originally from Philly
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't choose between the color and B&W versions of this shot. When I saw the shot I thought it needs a B&W conversion, but I'm afraid that the children blend into the background too much without the color. What do you think? Perhaps I just didn't do a good enough job with the conversion. Also, do you like the crop? I figured the people in the background distract from the main subject so I cut them out. This shot is OTE. Thanks :)

Here's the B&W:
whichone2.jpg

And the Color:
whichone1.jpg

And the original shot, unedited:
whichone3.jpg

And you can get a higher-res version of the original here for editing:
http://homepage.mac.com/skyboy/whichone/whichonehires.jpg

I know you think the kids blend too much into the BG in B&W, and you're partially right...but...anything is possible in PS, and it seems to me to be a much more classically interesting shot to me in B&W. ;)

I like the color version better, but the BW version looks okay too. My version of "half-n-half" would be to reduce color saturation by 50%. That would make the background very close to monchrome (it's already much closer than the kids), and tone down the bright colors of the kids' clothing.

Give selective colouring a go hehe, if that looks crap, I think you should go with colour, the kids blend into the background with b&w.

As they are now, I prefer the color, but I'd probably prefer the b&w if you spent some time using a selective layer to brighten up the kids a little bit. Just a touch to make them pop from the background more.

I'd also crop the right off so that the gate is centered. Normally you don't want to center things, but here the symmetry works well and makes is easier for my eyes to pop to the kids.

I really like what color does to the stone sidewalk. You nee to increase the saturation for the chilldren a bit, using lasso tool, to make them stand out a bit better.

I aggree with markc, crop out the right side, so the gate is centered. And I prefer the b/w version, it just needs a bit more work, so the kids pop out a bit.

Most reactions

Back