Can't decide on a lens.

DirtyDFeckers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I've recently gotten a job with a local paper doing sports photography. Very quickly, I've realized that my entry level Nikon isn't going to cut it for me, as I shoot a lot of indoor events. I have been looking at semi pro dslr's for a few weeks now, and have decided to go with a Canon 7d. I have used it for a few of my shoots, and have been very satisfied with the high iso performance, even though 18mp of data are being crammed onto a small cmos sensor. The dilemma for me comes in deciding what to do with regards to a lens.... Do I just go with a kit 18-135/28-135 lens or go bigger with an L series lens? I shoot a lot of basketball games and things like that. What should I do, and why? Thanks in advance for the advice.

70-200mm f/2.8L. Get the first generation IS if you can afford it or just buy the non IS. People are going to make fun of you for switching from Nikon to Canon LOL.

Get the 50 f1.4, 85 1.8, and 300 f4(or F2.8 version if funds are there). Or like Schwetty said get the 70-200 F2.8 Non IS and maybe the 50 f1.4. I would bet for basketball the 50 and 85 would be the best bet also the 24-70 f2.8 would do well.

Oh and you never mentioned a budget.

Thanks for the advice, and as far as a budget goes, I'm not ignorant to the fact that you have to spend money to get quality. I'm not afraid to drop 1500+ dollars on a lens if I need to. hahaha and I know people are going to make fun of me for switching to Canon, but I've been using the 7d for a few weeks now, and have fallen in love with it for sports.

70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk 1 it is then for your budget

Keep in mind I'm talking from the point of view of a Nikon D7000 user:

I have recently been shooting my kids playing basketball. I love my 70-200mm f2.8 and I got some decent photos, however, I had my ISO higher than I would have liked. Although I think you could get away with the 2.8, I found myself wanting an even faster lens for indoor sports (especially if you're going to be using faster shutter speeds).

I was much more pleased using my 35mm f1.8 with the exception of the 35mm focal length. I'm renting an 85mm f1.4 to try that. I think a 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4 would be perfect for indoor court sports (depending where you are shooting from).

I highly suggest renting the 70-200 f2.8 and a fast prime or two, take them to a game, and see how well they work. If you can get away with 2.8, the zoom will give you more flexibility with composition, however, you won't be happy spending that much money if 2.8 is still too slow.

Thanks, Ralph

Here is a quote from an instructor teaching about sports photography:

"You will need a lens that has a focal length range of at least 50mm. However, longer focal lengths will be extremely useful."

For basketball, I use a 70 - 200 f2.8 on one body and a 24 - 70 f2.8 on the other.

Ready for anything with these two.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back