Can't decide what to do! Need some lens help.

Darkhunter139

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright well I have a Nikon D40 and have been wanting to get a faster lens.

Right now I have the 18-55mm kit lens and the 55-200mm AF-S VR.

I have been looking and reading about two lenses in particular a lot

The sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM II and the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR di-II. Problem is the Sigma 70-200 $800 which seems like a lot to spend on a lens, especially when I have the 55-200mm which I like and I feel like I will miss VR.

Basically my question is are there any telephotos out there that will out perform my 55-200mm VR that cost around 300-500 instead of $800? If not I think I might just go with the Tamron lens because I feel like my 18-55 is not very good.

EDIT: Damn! I meant to post this in the equipment section. If a mod see's this can you please move it?

Basically my question is are there any telephotos out there that will out perform my 55-200mm VR that cost around 300-500 instead of $800?

Probably not. Remember that good, fast glass and "cheap" don't go together.

It's hard to find a good quality telephoto for less than $600 or so. Especially one with a constant max aperture of F2.8. I'm sure you've checked out the Nikon version, 70-200mm F2.8 VR...which much, much more expensive.

So in retrospect, the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8, at only $800, is a pretty good deal.

The Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 is a great lens and also a good bargain at $450, compared to the Canon/Nikon equivalent lenses.

Yeah I would love the 70-200mm f2.8 VR but that is out of the question. I have seen the sigma for around $600 used but I really would not feel comfortable buying a lens that expensive used.

I guess I should just save up for the Sigma lens, even if it takes me a while it will probably be worth it.

Yeah I would love the 70-200mm f2.8 VR but that is out of the question. I have seen the sigma for around $600 used but I really would not feel comfortable buying a lens that expensive used.

I guess I should just save up for the Sigma lens, even if it takes me a while it will probably be worth it.

That expensive? Have you seen the price of lenses? 600 is nothing in the lens world. A couple thousand might be a lot for a lens but 600 isn't very much considering it's a 2.8 telephoto zoom.

That expensive? Have you seen the price of lenses? 600 is nothing in the lens world. A couple thousand might be a lot for a lens but 600 isn't very much considering it's a 2.8 telephoto zoom.

Not saying its a lot in the world of lenses just in my world :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back