What's new

Can't Decide Which Camera, Help!

PzykoSkillz

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Stafford, VA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I've got it narrowed down to two or three cameras now. I'm looking at a Canon 10d and a Nikon D70. I used to have a D40, is their much difference between the D40 and D70? Both the ones I'm looking at have AF. I was also considering the Pentax *ist DL b/c I like that it has an AF motor built in the body. AF is important b/c I want something that my wife would enjoy using also. And I'd like something good for motion shots such as my kids and my fish, lol. Thank you.
 
I like the Pentax b/c it has AF built in the body, but it's only got 3 AF points. The Canon, I mainly just don't like the small 1.8" screen. The Nikon, I didn't really like my D40 that much so I'm wondering if I'll like the D70. For the last two, I'll just have to buy AF lenses although they both come w/ one.
 
I think I've got it narrowed down to two or three cameras now. I'm looking at a Canon 10d and a Nikon D70. I used to have a D40, is their much difference between the D40 and D70? Both the ones I'm looking at have AF. I was also considering the Pentax *ist DL b/c I like that it has an AF motor built in the body. AF is important b/c I want something that my wife would enjoy using also. And I'd like something good for motion shots such as my kids and my fish, lol. Thank you.

The 10D was my 2nd canon DSLR (D30 was my first)... brings back memories. I enjoyed the camera but I'd like to know why the 10D? In the digital world, that is a very old camera now... dating back to 2003. By today's standards, it is a little anemic in regards to mpixels and operates slowly. I'm not saying there is anything bad about the camera, mine (which was sold to my cousin) is still operating just fine as a backup but I think there are better options. Also consider that the 10D is not compatible with the EF-s line of canon lenses even though it is a crop sensor. In my mind, this is limits your choices for wide angle lenses. If you can squeeze a bit more $$, I'd highly recommend moving your consideration to the 20D or 30D.

I also own the Samsung GX-1L which is the twin of the Pentax *ist DL. Again, fairly old camera and fairly outdated by today's standards. It is/was my "budget' camera purchased from a pawn shop for $150 several years ago.... I use it because I have a significant collection of K-mount Takumars and they were nice enough to maintain backwards compatibility by including the aperture diaphragm linkage arms in their bodies. Its a pretty basic camera that suites my needs which does not include autofocus. If you can squeeze a bit more $$, I'd highly recommend considering the K10D as an alternate. The K10D was Pentax's first DSLR that was taken seriously in the market and still continues to prove itself as a backup camera to many in the Pentax world. The Samsung equivalent/twin is the GX-10. I've found that many people don't realize this or prefer the "Pentax" brand thus it is easier to find better deals on the Samsung equivalent.

As far as I know, all Pentax AF bodies have the motor built into the body. The only brand that has the in body motor versus the in lens motor is Nikon.

Perhaps, you can specify your budget? and that will give us more insight into your purchase.
 
Thanks, Usayit. I can get the 10d for $250 w/ a lens and the Pentax for less than $300 also w/ a lens. I havent even thought about looking at the pawn shop, but the one here usually jacks everything up. I was trying to keep it below $400 b/c I'm mostly just using it for my kids and my fish. Nothing professional or even close.
 
Would the Canon XT, Olympus E-420 or Pentax K100D be better than the others I listed?
 
Last edited:
I actually have a Canon 10d. It's my first DSLR. Not a bad camera. The small 1.8" LCD can be a pain to check focus and such. But the top LCD that displays the settings is really great!

I agree with Usayit though. 20D and 30D sound like great options compared to the 10d if you can invest a bit more.

I'm thinking about upgrading the body though. I don't like the photos taken at iso400 and above, a bit too noisy. (I need the higher iso's for indoor sports)
 
Would the Canon XT, Olympus E-420 or Pentax K100D be better than the others I listed?

Does it have to be a DSLR? Sounds like a good candidate for a high end P&S. Kids... fish... in my mind that a camera must fit your priorities which are not photography. I'm thinking Canon G9 or G10.

I think a used Canon XTi with kit lens is also within budget. The used Pentax K100D has in body image stabilization which is nice. The Olympus E-420 in budget?
 
No, it doesnt really have to be a DSLR I guess. Just something nice really. Thanks, I'll check out the G9 and G10. Yeah, I found an Olympus E-420 in budget. Sounds like the ones I mentioned in the last post are better than the ones in my first post?
 
No, it doesnt really have to be a DSLR I guess. Just something nice really. Thanks, I'll check out the G9 and G10. Yeah, I found an Olympus E-420 in budget. Sounds like the ones I mentioned in the last post are better than the ones in my first post?

Also the Canon S90.
 
Thanks again. I like that G9, but the G10 is a little up there for right now. What do you think about the fujifilm finepix s8100fd?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom