What's new

Can't Let PixelRabbit and Mishele have ALL the Fun!

These made me go back and try what I did with my own oil+water bubbles some 5 years ago and I did not succeed. Seems like the fact my tripod got stolen (and not yet replaced) stands much against my sucessfully repeating the game. Nothing I can present ... and in the end the bowl and contents fell over and I got kind of --- erm --- annoyed with that fact, more so since it wasn't plain water that went everywhere. Kudos to the bowl: it survived. Not so my experiment. Hmph.
Congrats on yours, Sharon! I much (!) like the last and last-but-one. But these are all really good.
 
Sharon my dear, you don't give yourself near enough credit, especially on that last one, it's delicious!! I like the lines and simplicity of the first one also.
I'm glad you finally played!

Mully may be onto something with an oil and water thread... it will put the pressure on Corinna to get past the spilled mix and show us all how to do it! ;)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #18
These made me go back and try what I did with my own oil+water bubbles some 5 years ago and I did not succeed. Seems like the fact my tripod got stolen (and not yet replaced) stands much against my sucessfully repeating the game. Nothing I can present ... and in the end the bowl and contents fell over and I got kind of --- erm --- annoyed with that fact, more so since it wasn't plain water that went everywhere. Kudos to the bowl: it survived. Not so my experiment. Hmph.
Congrats on yours, Sharon! I much (!) like the last and last-but-one. But these are all really good.

You DEFINITELY need to get in on the action, Corinna! I actually did a FEW of these without my tripod...because when I started, I was feeling only *slightly* inspired and tremendously lazy, and didn't want to go to the "bother" of setting it up proper. :D
I've really got to get a GOOD tripod anyway. Or maybe just a different head for it. The legs seem sturdy enough, but I cannot tighten it down enough to keep the camera from "drooping" a bit.

Sharon my dear, you don't give yourself near enough credit, especially on that last one, it's delicious!! I like the lines and simplicity of the first one also.
I'm glad you finally played!

Mully may be onto something with an oil and water thread... it will put the pressure on Corinna to get past the spilled mix and show us all how to do it! ;)

YES!!!! I made Pixel comment on one of my threads...finally!!! :biglaugh:
I think that's a first. :D
<note to self: putting people's names in the thread title is a GOOD plan>

Seriously: Thanks, Pixel!! One thing I can say unequivocally that I truly EXCEL at is not giving myself much credit. :lmao: I've had YEARS of practice. But you and Mish really ARE light years ahead of me in talent and execution.

And I think an Oil & Water thread is a STELLAR plan--actually, for *some* of mine to be included, it would have to be Oil & Water PLUS, as some of mine don't employ oil. And some, like the last one, don't even use water. :lol: So, yeah, that wouldn't fit in an "Oil & Water" thread. I have some plans for a couple of other similar items and "ingredients" as well that wouldn't technically fit.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #19
After looking at them again this morning, I think I probably already posted the best of the best last night. But I'm adding a few more anyway, just because I said I would. I have plans for more of them, but today I got distracted by the songbirds in the snow again. :D

7.


8. This one is just too dark on the right side; I should work on that. And who knows, maybe I will. Someday. :D


9.


10.
 
Soooo.... Does the type of oil matter? Does it have to be cold-pressed unfiltered? Or grape-seed extract? Low-density or high-density? And the water - tap, pure, distilled, or adulterated? :lol:

Sharon, your are good enough to join Mishele's and Judi's. Looks like we'll need to have some guys add their versions.
 
Last edited:
This looks like so much fun I might have to give it a try myself. Terrific shots Sharon. Just awesome work from all you ladies here. I'm impressed
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #22
Soooo.... Does the type of oil matter? Does it have to be cold-pressed unfiltered? Or grape-seed extract? Low-density or high-density? And the water - tap, pure, distilled, or adulterated? :lol:

Sharon, your are good enough to join Mishele's and Judi's. Looks like we'll need to have some guys add their versions.

Thank you for the compliment; high praise indeed to lump me with them.

For the most part, your basic vegetable or olive oil and tap water will do just fine. But it does have me thinking about different viscosities and how they might change things slightly. :D

This looks like so much fun I might have to give it a try myself. Terrific shots Sharon. Just awesome work from all you ladies here. I'm impressed

Thanks, Tuffy--there's room for everyone; come on in and enjoy the fun!
 
"high praise indeed to lump me with them."
Blah...lol even playing level! You'll learn what works and what doesn't. I don't ever use a tripod w/ these shots. I'm standing over the water looking for the yummy gatherings. ;)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #25
"high praise indeed to lump me with them."
Blah...lol even playing level! You'll learn what works and what doesn't. I don't ever use a tripod w/ these shots. I'm standing over the water looking for the yummy gatherings. ;)

Yeah, yeah...WHATever. :lmao:

But, speaking of learning what works--I need a better shallow dish for my water. I've tried everything I can think of that I've got--pie pans, platters and the like, but the problem is that evidently I like Pyrex, a LOT, because it ALL seems to be Pyrex. And Pyrex evidently likes to plaster their name and a bunch of other info on the underside of all their glass products, so I have to try to shoot very carefully around that--although I intentionally incorporated it a few times.

What do you all use? Does it have words etched into the underside?
 
What do you all use? Does it have words etched into the underside?

:meh: yes...
I went back and tried again, by the way.
Nothing as good as yours here, but I kept a few (taken without the tripod that I no longer have - ouch, my back, old-age is kicking in, I'm afraid). Might decide on showing some tomorrow, erm ... later today, I mean to say, as it is a couple of minutes past midnight here right now and therefore time for bed!
 
Ahhh yes, the WORDS!!! I do have that same problem. I use a bowl that I bought fruit salad in a year ago...lol I keep it just for photo play. :lol:
If you think of it in the Spring, go yard saling and pick up a cheap fish tank! It will help you w/ this and splash shots. You know the ones when someone drops a piece of fruit in water.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #28
What do you all use? Does it have words etched into the underside?

:meh: yes...
I went back and tried again, by the way.
Nothing as good as yours here, but I kept a few (taken without the tripod that I no longer have - ouch, my back, old-age is kicking in, I'm afraid). Might decide on showing some tomorrow, erm ... later today, I mean to say, as it is a couple of minutes past midnight here right now and therefore time for bed!

C'mon, be brave!! We wanna see your pics!! :D I'll be looking for them tomorrow (not even 7 p.m. here). ;-)


Ahhh yes, the WORDS!!! I do have that same problem. I use a bowl that I bought fruit salad in a year ago...lol I keep it just for photo play. :lol:
If you think of it in the Spring, go yard saling and pick up a cheap fish tank! It will help you w/ this and splash shots. You know the ones when someone drops a piece of fruit in water.

D'oh!!! I think I HAVE one, down in the basement. Back when my kids were younger, they were in Science Olympiads (yes, I raised geeks, and I'm PROUD of it!! They won many a medal in Science Olympiad competitions), and there was one competition they did two years in a row that was basically building an aquifer--small fish tanks fit within the specified dimensions perfectly.

I'll have to get my son to come over tomorrow and find it for me...the basement is a dark, scary place and I don't really like to go down there. :biglaugh:

And THEN, of course, I'll *have* to play some with the "splash" photography, since after all--what's the point of having a tank and not doing that?

EDIT: I got all excited, but now I'm thinking maybe one of my sons gave it to a friend who needed it for his snake. We shall find out tomorrow.
 
No tripod here either and Pyrex, but....
I have a 20gal fish tank!
yesss-crazy-rabbit-emoticon_zpsc495f113.gif


Playtime next week!

crazy-rabbit-msn-emotions-dancing-2.gif
 
I played a little, but I'm not happy with the result ...
What on earth did you use for the last in the first lot and the first in the second lot, and what did you use for the very last one?
How did you make it shine the way it does?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom