Can't Let PixelRabbit and Mishele have ALL the Fun!

Well, I don't think I still have the aquarium...but I already checked; they're only $13 at Walmart. Have to make a little stop on the way home tomorrow. :D

I played a little, but I'm not happy with the result ...
What on earth did you use for the last in the first lot and the first in the second lot, and what did you use for the very last one?
How did you make it shine the way it does?

Well, actually all the ones you mention are part of the "PLUS" part. In fact, technically, I guess #6 and 7 (last in first lot, first in second lot) are kind of "Minus" since they use neither oil nor water.

#6 and 7 are actually just a broken Dollar Tree toy--you know those tiny little "party favor" size kids' kaleidoscopes? We got those in our Christmas stockings, and the little "prism" at the bottom of mine immediately fell out...I looked at it and immediately knew I could have WAY more fun with it that way than as a kaleidoscope. :D
But it does rely on the reflections I used to work well.

The other one you mentioned, the very last, DOES use oil and water--but it also has another element.
Back some time ago, I posted a thread about a little experiment I did with another Dollar Tree item I'd found (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/296658-just-experiment.html)

I used those same "water balls" as I call them, in with the oil and water. I have some other ideas for them as well, but in that last one, one of the waterballs ended up right in the middle of a big blob of oil and made the cool reflective circle on the left.

Tomorrow, I'll try to take a picture of my setup, but I can tell you, it is EXTREMELY simplistic! Reflective surface on the ground, large picture frame raised off the ground about a foot or so (by two Trivial Pursuit game boxes!), pie plate with water and oil on top of the picture frame glass. I used a science fair tri-fold display board as the "backdrop" and put my flash on the floor so that it fires the light over the top of the background surface on the floor, and under the picture frame glass, bouncing off the backdrop.

Oh, some of them also use another little LED light source--I'll just have to take pictures of the setup and what I used. Mañana.

Most reactions

Back