Canyon Lake CC my PP.

reissigree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The colors on #2 are awesome! I like the last one also... #3 seems really dark, but it might be my screen.

It's my favorite! Number three is dark, I wanted it to be a silhouette. Thank you!

The first two don't do a lot for me, but I do like #3 & #4. Love the colors in 4 and I think you did a nice job with the silhouette and creating a vast sense of space for the lone fisherman in #3. Watch your horizon lines though, most of them seem to disect the shot right in the middle.

Does the rule of thirds apply here? I'm still learning, but how should they have been disected?

I used to dive Canyon a lot back in the late 80's / early 90's... good to see it again!

I bet that would be awesome because of the rock instead of mud bottom haha.

The old pecan grove by the dam was the best part... especially at night! :)

My first impressions - FWIW...

#1. The "thing" whatever it is spoils the image as a whole (my opinion), and the horizon is right in the middle of the image.

#2. Not bad, nice colours, but the horizon is not flat, appears to tilt to the right and splits the image in half.

#3. Not bad, nice silhouette if that is what you were going for - horizon splits the image in half.

#4. Again, nice shot, but I would have liked to see more detail in the foreground area. This is the type of image for which a graduated neutral density filter would be quite useful (#2 maybe a bit as well)

As far as horizons go, the rule of thirds suggest that the horizon be placed in the upper or lower third of the image. If you place it in the upper third, then you are giving more "emphasis" to the lower part of the image as compared to the sky - in this case, that would be the lake and the land around it. If you place the horizon in the lower thirds position, then you are telling the viewer that the sky is the more important part of the image. Placing it in the middle tends to raise confusion in the viewer's mind, as he/she is not sure what part of the image is important. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Very cool photos! ;) I'm a newbie though, so I can't say a whole lot.. :p I'ma have to look up tonal mapping.. Sounds interesting! :)

Thank you so much.
1. That's a bulkhead that has sunk on it's side because the lake is so low, I guess that's what I was going for.
3. Yes I was going for a silhouette.
4. I need to get a GND Filter.
Thanks again!

They all look really good. The 3rd could be slightly brightened, but just a notch. But still a good picture. The second is pretty amazing, but a little brightening might do some work.
They're good. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back