Capitol at sunset

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We had several spectacular sunsets lately, but I was working during all of them... :048: On my days off, I went back to a local park to try and get some nice landscapes of our capitol building at sunset. These were the best two of the bunch.

D800, 200-500 f/5.6 @ 200mm, f/5.6, 1/1250 sec, ISO 200

D800, 70-200 f/2.8 @ 200mm, f/5.6, 1/30 sec, ISO 280

I really like the second shot, the glow around the capital is gorgeous.

Nice shots. It would be nice if you could get the glow of the sky in the second one in the sky of the first one - just me being fussy again. I like the first one because, for me, the composition is better with the trees in the foreground acting as a frame for the Capitol.

WesternGuy

Thank you!

I really like the second shot, the glow around the capital is gorgeous.
Thanks!

Nice shots. It would be nice if you could get the glow of the sky in the second one in the sky of the first one - just me being fussy again. I like the first one because, for me, the composition is better with the trees in the foreground acting as a frame for the Capitol.

WesternGuy
Fussy is good, it's helps me improve! I agree it would have been nice to have the colors of the second one in the first one. I don't know, however, if I could have captured the foreground with as much light as I did had I waited until the sun set much farther. The second image was captured about 45 min after the first one.

Really like the composition of the first shot.
Thanks!

I don't know, however, if I could have captured the foreground with as much light as I did had I waited until the sun set much farther. The second image was captured about 45 min after the first one.

You can always use two exposures, even if they are 45 minutes apart. It is your art and how you choose to "interpret" a scene is, of course, entirely up to you. I always wait after the sun has dipped below the horizon, i.e., just gone below the horizon, and I look at the eastern sky because I find that the colour you see in the eastern sky at sunset will eventually show up in the western sky. Some of my best sunset pictures have resulted from waiting 10 to 15 minutes (more or less) until after the sunset itself when the western sky becomes orange and then red before the sky finally fades to darkness.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back